Over the hills and far away first trial Marc

Lavallee

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Been working on Over the hills and far away for many months but focused more in the last month. Lots of work still to be done. I wanted to work on this one because I do not use the pick very often and this song needs some accuracy with the pick hitting specific strings. I went a little further than Neil's lesson as the last section is supposed to be on electric guitar but it is fun to play.

Let me know what you think and make comments on even quite obvious mistakes as I will make a list of the comments to be my practice list .

Thanks
Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Well first thing to put on your practice list Marc, is give yourself a big round of applause! I reckon you're handling that pick just fine and this song is coming along just fine! Great work and keep it going. Karma chameleon is smiling at you. :-)

jayswett

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm not as familiar with that song as I am many other Led Zeppelin songs, but it's rated a 7 for good reason, I suspect. I don't see any obvious technical flaws in your playing, it's just a matter of more repetition. I admire your courage in tackling that one.

RicksPick

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Mark

Looks as if your little pinkie just wants to stay anchored lol

noticed that when you do go for those individual notes your little finger is still moving so not sure what good that anchor is,
So either lose the anchor or root it more ?

Hope someone else bit more experienced can add more to this, its just what i noticed.

Sounds as your most of the way there well done ;)

RicksPick

reiver

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Mark

Nice going. I've just started working on this myself - it's not as easy as it sounds.....and it sounds really hard!

On a technical note - I'm not absolutely sure, but I think your timing on the D chord strumming is about 1/2 beat too long. The G chord strum is 2 whole beats, but the D chord is 1 1/2 beats. If it's just my counting that's out I apologise.

I'm only about 6 months away from getting to where you're at just now, if the guitar isn't back under the bed by then.

Karma on it's way

r

ps I only started learning this 'cos no-one had posted a video yet. Hmmph!

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Tough for me to comment - I haven't even looked at Neil's lesson on it yet. But I obviously do know the song, and good going for taking it on, Marc! The timing is everything and I'm sure it's not easy.

Will check out the lesson and compare when I get a chance.

Lavallee

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks Chris, actually I almost lost the pick a few times even though I have Wedge pick with a recessed area and some texture. I also tried the holes in the pick as soem people have mentionned and it still slips. I find it difficult to have a smooth hand for strumming and have anough pressure to hold the pick properly.

Thanks for the Karma

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:05 am

jayswett wrote:
I'm not as familiar with that song as I am many other Led Zeppelin songs, but it's rated a 7 for good reason, I suspect. I don't see any obvious technical flaws in your playing, it's just a matter of more repetition. I admire your courage in tackling that one.
Hi Jay, I must say I have always enjoy Zeppelin and to have the chance to give a shot at their song is a really big motivation for me. I always found them original with the beat changing a few times within the song and the new sound , then, they were giving was so appealing. I was 10-12 years old playing air guitar on their music and hoping to do the real thing one day. I am glad that Neil had put some lessons on them.

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 am

RicksPick wrote:
Hi Mark

Looks as if your little pinkie just wants to stay anchored lol

noticed that when you do go for those individual notes your little finger is still moving so not sure what good that anchor is,
So either lose the anchor or root it more ?

Hope someone else bit more experienced can add more to this, its just what i noticed.

Sounds as your most of the way there well done ;)

RicksPick
Hi Rick, this is a good point , I never noticed that, my pinky looks a little flimsy when picking the notes. Maybe I automatically find the height from the strings with it and do not use the pinky as a position anchor. I will try to have the tip of the pinky solid on the guitar, if I will have more accuracy.

Thanks

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:22 am

reiver wrote:
Hi Mark

Nice going. I've just started working on this myself - it's not as easy as it sounds.....and it sounds really hard!

On a technical note - I'm not absolutely sure, but I think your timing on the D chord strumming is about 1/2 beat too long. The G chord strum is 2 whole beats, but the D chord is 1 1/2 beats. If it's just my counting that's out I apologise.

I'm only about 6 months away from getting to where you're at just now, if the guitar isn't back under the bed by then.

Karma on it's way

r

ps I only started learning this 'cos no-one had posted a video yet. Hmmph!
Hi Reiver, thanks for the comments, I will look at that D chord beat.

I hope you will not put your guitar under the bed as it will be very uncomfortable to play there. ;)

Marc

PS: I am sorry if I took your song :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic