Harvest Moon- Suziko

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Bill- I love Rowan Atkinson as much as the next girl, but I'm glad you switched. This is a BIG improvement! Oh, and I was originally to write all this on your wall but, lo and behold, you don't have one!

Good question, regarding the song and difficulty level. I would say that I do like to challenge myself or else I get bored too quickly. Up until this song I'd been sticking with Level 4 or lower songs, and was hesitant to venture past that. But then Gary (goldleaf) posted HIS video for this song. I had actually never heard the song before, but after hearing Gary's version I went and listened to the original and just fell in love with the song. (I really think it might be one of the most romantic songs ever written and cannot believe it's not used as a wedding song more regularly.) Gary told me he didn't think it would be any harder than Needle and the Damage done, and that I should give it a shot. Well, I would say that in some respects it's harder, and in others easier. I am a long way to mastering this song and will probably work on it for the rest of my life. But with a song like this, that's no hardship.

Sorry for the long-winded answer to your question!

haoli25

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Thank you for the kind words Suzi. I guess I wasn't paying attention when they handed out the 'WALLS'. I'll figure that out someday. lol

You are soooo right about challenging ourselves above our 'comfort zone' with the guitar. As frustrating as it can be at times, it is truly the only way to get better. It always helps to find a song that you really want to play too. :)

Bill

Chasplaya

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:46 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Forgot to mention, Suzi, you need to hang those pictures straight on the wall! Or is it the perspective....?
Chris Nevermindthetime go see the Principle!! You were obviously not paying attention to the main attraction!!

I never got the guitar was tune Drop D , now I know that maybe more emphasis on the Bass, but yet again, I still liked it

jayswett

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:05 am

After watching that video, I am again reminded that one of the best and rewarding aspects of this site is seeing the improvement from video to video. You have that song on the ropes for sure, and after another couple of weeks, will have knocked it out. I agree that there is alot to be said for the classical position. I tend to use it more for songs that require movement up and down the neck of the guitar. I don't play many songs that require that, but Blackbird does come to mind. Very nice job, Suzi.

michelew

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:14 am

Great job Suzi. I don't think I'll be trying that one for a while (too tricky), but you seem to have almost gotten it down completely - not much of a gap between where you are now and sounding professional.

I love the new playing position. You don't look dorky at all. You look like you know what you're doing, your wrist looks great and like you can reach whatever you need to.

You also look very relaxed. What's your secret?

I just gave some karma to Al - so another IOU from me - karma coming your way tomorrow morning (my time).

I loved it!

suziko

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:36 am

Jay- I agree. I have really enjoyed watching my fellow TGers progress. I have really enjoyed how people have been posting "updates" to show their progress on a certain song. Re. the classical position- I'm not sure how anyone plays this song NOT in the classical position, but I'm pretty sure NY doesn't, so I guess it's do-able. For me, I really just couldn't get my hands to work properly with the guitar on my right knee, so classical position it was!

Michele- Thanks! I'm glad I look relaxed to you- I sure didn't feel it! I was thinking last night about your "out-take" video, and how your partner kept encouraging you to "look at the camera." I always avoid looking at the camera, though I like it when others DO look at the camera. So, one of my next goals is to start actually looking at the camera and getting more comfortable with that.

michelew

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Suzi, Good plan. Yes, looking at the camera certainly does up the nerve factor for me. But, I plan to get over it too, as soon as I can.

BTW - karma paid.

I'm looking forward to your next one. I think Al might have competition in the video posting stakes...

AndyT

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Film a couple looking at the camera with no intention of posting them, just to get used to it. After a while it will get much easier.

suziko

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Good recommendation, Andy!

Thanks, Michele!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic