Harvest Moon- Suziko

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:31 am

Here's my first stab at the Neil Young classic Harvest Moon, played admittedly a bit sloppily. I've been working on it for 2-3 weeks but feel like I'm at a bit of an impasse at this point as far as any improvement I can make. I had a lot of trouble with the Fill2, especially regularly and cleanly hitting that D/A. I also don't love how staccato it sounds when switching between chords in that fill, but I'm not sure how to make it sound more smooth. Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

Special thanks: to Gary (goldleaf) for introducing me to this beautiful song through the video of his own version, to Al (AcousticAl) for working out the melody notes for me, and, of course, to Neil (Hogan) for his excellent and comprehensive lesson for this song, without which I never could have learned to play it.

The song is played in drop-D tuning, on my Taylor GC3.

[video type=youtube][/video]

reiver

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:26 pm

That sounds really good Suz. Congratulations

I suppose if you're trying to improve something, the easiest thing to do would be to slow it down a bit to a bpm where you're more comfortable and then to build up again slowly. I think that you're playing it at around 120bpm - try it at 90-100 'til you get happier with your changes. Other than that it's just practice........

These member vids are really enjoyable - but a total distraction. Every time I hear one I have to get the guitar and start trying to play along, rather than concentrating on what I'm supposed to be playing....but keep them coming!

you will be karma-lised

r

BobR

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:34 pm

For a first stab at it I would say well done. I have been trying this song on and off for a bit and I am still having trouble with the D - Dmaj7- A etc.. transition. Seems like your doing that well. Hopefully I will have the courage to post my version soon.

Good job.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey Suzie, really great going on that song for such a short work-period. Been holding my breath since yesterday waiting for it. Glad I can breath out now. Love that guitar... looks really huge on you :-) but that just makes you look sweeter! Nice video, nice setting and we can really see where you are on that. R. suggestion makes sense, especially for the transitions.
Maybe I'm going to have a go at this now..... Great to see your video. Keep them coming Suz! Karma Chameleon is smiling at you!

dennisg

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Suziko,

Very, very nicely done. I agree with Reiver that you might think about slowing it down -- by at least a third, probably more. You're so close to nailing this song, slowing it down will let you get comfortable with all the chord transitions.

By the way, even with your camera's internal mic (which are not exactly noted for their sonic purity), your Taylor sounds great.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Reiver- You're right- slowing it down would be a good idea. I need to get into the habit of working with the metronome because I haven't done that at all. I also really enjoy the member videos and have discovered several wonderful new-to-me songs through them. Thanks for the karma!

Bob- That Fill 2 is my Achille's Heel. I can't tell you how many times I played it (in isolation), trying to get that transition consistently down. Clearly, I still have a long way until I nail it, but at least I'm moving in the right direction. Can't wait to see your video!

Chris- Hope I didn't let you down ;) Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I'm a small woman so you can see why I had to size down from my original dreadnought! Thanks for the karma!

Dennis- Thank you! I have been thinking that if I'm going to keep uploading videos I should consider buying a better quality camera. This one really does not do my Taylor justice!

Lavallee

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Bonjour Suzi,

I think this is coming out very nicely. I noticed that you changed you guitar position for a more classical handling (guitar on the left thigh and the neck pointing higher), you are also using more of your arm in the strumming and we can feel the swing strumming in the overall play. You are also handling very well the big stretch from 5th to second fret. I agree with the slow down suggestion until you are conforatble with some of the chords changes (mainly around A where you have to use your pinky for the melody) which makes you slow down the strumming sometimes and makes it a little inconsistent.

It is very good after 2 weeks, in a very short time it will be perfect.

Karma for you

Marc

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Merci, Marc!

I ended up switching my guitar position for this song because when I had my guitar on my right thigh I could not get my pinky to hit the notes it needs to hit. Moving it to the left leg and lifting the neck helped a lot. It's a position I'll experiment with in other songs and maybe switch back and forth depending on the song.

Slow it down I will, and we'll see how it goes from there. Thanks for the karma, too! Suzi

Chasplaya

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Wow for two weeks play thats really good, I do the same don't work with the nome enough, I started practicing the song i'm going to do first last night with the nome, jeez thats certainly different but surprising how quickly it starts to sound better. So the advice from other s about slowing down to begin with and working with the nome is good advice matey!

Regards

Chas

Good on ya mate karma to you, liked it :)

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks, Chas! I can't wait to see YOUR video!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic