Harvest Moon- Suziko

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Suzi, you've already got my suggestions in a pm. The main one, in case others are interested, was to be more exact on the base notes in the intro and throughout the song. Just hit the 6th string solo for beat one-- then continue the strumming the other strings on beats 2,3&4. It would vary the strumming and make it more interesting.

Karma's comin'atcha!!

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks, Al. I'm sure I don't have to tell you again, but I appreciate all your help on this!

willem

Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Hoi Suzi,, ''i love it'' i do not replay all to good advises,, only
''i love it'' ''i love it''

I wanna send you a dvd from Neil Young called ''HEART OF GOLD'' you earn it...

Yamaha48

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello Suzi.

A good start with this tune.
Not a easy one to play this.
I think give it more time,you can do it Suzi,

Greet Anton

goldleaf

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Suzi, congratulations, you did an excellent job. You even added a lot more melody than I had. One suggestion that you might consider is to tune your top E down to D which really gives it that deep bass sound and it's easy to do, just tune your top E string down one step = 7th fret to the open 5th string. You really did a good job making that song sound nice. Gary

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Willem- Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Anton- Not easy, you're right. It's just a start, and hopefully over time I'll improve on it.

Gary- Thanks again for the inspiration! Funnily enough, my guitar IS tuned to drop-D for this song! Guess it's not coming through so well with my shoddy camera!

goldleaf

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Sorry Suzi. I guess I would suggest you make sure you hit the top E firmly, it did look like you were only struming the bottom 4 or 5 strings. It is a little difficult to do all the things that song requires but you really nailed it for how difficult it is. I can see now many difficult changes there are in that song, it takes awhile to get them all down, but you did it. Gary

BigBear

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Suzi- Wow, you tackled a tough song and did it very well. Congrats! More than anything else we can see your confidence is growing, critical to advancing with any musical instrument.

When I was learning to speak German to a native speaker, I was always so afraid of making a mistake that I'd pass on opportunities to engage them and get better. My friends would just blast away, fearless of errors, and getting tons of useful feedback. They advanced so much faster than I did and to this day remain better speakers.

My point is, by putting it all out there, you are advancing much faster than the usual guitarist, and it shows. That is not an easy song and in a very short time you have it down pretty close to perfect. That's just super!

Congrats again kiddo, you're doing wonderfully!!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:44 pm

Forgot to mention, Suzi, you need to hang those pictures straight on the wall! Or is it the perspective....?

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Gary- No, you're right about the low-D string not sounding out clearly enough. That was the first thing Al mentioned, too, when he saw it. I actually tried re-recording it today hitting that bass note more clearly, but I just couldn't get a good take, so I put this up. But yes, I definitely need to get that bass note in more distinctly. It's a tough song (as you well know!).

Bear- Coming from you, I take that as high praise! Thank you very much! I had a similar experience to yours when I first started learning Russian. I think as I've gotten older I've gotten more confident, but this is also a very supportive community. My goal with posting videos is (in part) to show you all where I'm at and what kind of progress I've made, and to get feedback to improve my playing. I'm not really looking to "impress", though some day, I must admit, I hope to knock all of your socks off with my playing! ;)

Chris- Hmmm... they do look crooked in the video, but it could be the perspective. Guess I'd better get out the old level!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic