'Fire & Rain' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Two in one day? I must be off work or something!!
:)

Here's my stab at 'Fire & Rain'. LOVE this song, and only recently got my head around the fingerpicking/timing. I found it particularly challenging.

Those of you who are trying this song may notice that I'm using fingerpicking similar to 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You'. You'll see what I mean if you look at how I play the Gmaj7-- alternating base notes with my thumb, hitting the 6th string then immediately hitting the 4th string. Not quite how Neil plays it, but it works for me.

Let me know your thoughts.

reiver

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:56 pm

I was so sure that you were going to burst into song there........

Great job Al, looked very comfortable for you. Looking forward to the next one. Tomorrow?

you and suz have emptied the karma bank - i'll get back to you....

r

Yamaha48

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Hello Al.

Two video s on one day,i can remember me another player from here hahaha.
You do good work man.you mean your richt tumb that hit the Low E somtime s?.The thumb more site way,not easy i know.
Your level stand above my level,what can i see fore the rest.

greet your friend Anton

goldleaf

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 pm

Great sound Al, and also I like your version of the song. A couple questions. What are you pushing to shut off the video that is so handy, how are you getting such quality acoustics from your guitar to the video and are you using alternate tuning? Gary

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:16 pm

A great song, and one that's close to my heart as it has my name in it.

Well done, Al! That was not done sloppily at all. Karma to you!

BigBear

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Al- great job! Not only are you a video wizard, you play the guitar too! LOL! A man of many talents!

James Taylor is a really tough guitarist to play and you did a very credible job. Obviously, it's a work in progress but you are getting really close. I haven't even had time to experiment with this song so I can't offer any advice.

Congrats on another excellent vid!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Now that is a solid job Al, great work and really good sound ... plugged in right? Really like the intro, it's sounding smooth. I'm way behind you on that song. Good idea on going "Full Monty" as Suzie would put it!
Karma chameleon is smiling at you ...if he's still loaded after Suzie's Video!

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks for your comments and karma everyone! I've had a love/hate relationship with this song since Neil uploaded the lesson. Really tough picking for me, so I am happy with where I've gotten it to so far.

To answer some of your questions-

-It's done in regular tuning as per Neil's lesson
-The audio is running direct from my guitar to the mic input of my computer.

Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment.

tovo

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Different to Neil but works for you Al...works for me as well mate, really nice. You set the bar pretty high.

haoli25

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Bravo Al!!! I really liked your version of 'Fire and Rain'. You should be very proud because all of your hard work is paying off. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic