Hallelujah by TOVO

reiver

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Tony

That was excellent, really enjoyed it. Was not expecting the singing - that was a nice surprise and you definitely pulled it off. I've played along a couple of times now (though I left the singing to you) and it has helped me improve on this song. Playing along with Neil is fine, but playing with other members feels like a much more level playing field and I get a lot from it.

Love the guitar too - hope to be joining the Taylor club in the new year. Maybe we should have an owners group :)

Well done on a great post.....

You have been karma-lised.

r

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:34 am

Wow! That was both unexpected AND really well done! Really enjoyed that, Tony. Don't worry about any flubs- your singing more than made up for it. Should change your avatar back to Shrek to go with the song..

Karma!

Lavallee

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Tovo, very nice rendering of the song. I envy you to be able to sing. I must make the song more enjoyable to learn. Your fingerpicking looks quite natural, I revisited your post on House of the rising sun and noticed that your fingerpicking was good (you said it was your first fingerpicking song)but focus was on your right hand (your were always looking at your hand). With this one you are enjoying playing it (focusing on the song)and your playing is very smooth, great improvement.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:28 am

Wow! Way to go Tony! Great song! You really put that over well. Really enjoyed listening to you sing that. Just the right feel. No Oz accent! Are you faking us? Who said you can only play Leonard Cohen after dark!! Proved them wrong. Congrats on your progress Tony.
The chameleon will be paying his dues...

wrench

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:32 am

Tony,

A well-played song, AND singing, AND a full-length performance. Way to raise the bar, my friend.

All well-done. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting.

wrench

tovo

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:09 pm

Well certainly a nice way to start the day with these very generous comments, thanks so much. Trying to address them:

Thanks a lot Jay. I always appreciate your very encouraging comments.

Dennis the guitar is a Taylor 410ce. Had it about 3 months, had to sell stuff to raise the money as Taylors are very expensive here but I love it and although I'm a relatively new player I reckon having a nice guitar encourages you to pick it up more. Know what I mean?

Reiver that's a cool idea to play along with other members. Thanks for the nice words. Are you in the Taylor group on the site? Bear works for Taylor I suspect! :)

Thanks a lot Al. I've honestly never sung before other than in the car etc so I wasn't sure I should try that and probably not the easiest song to debut your voice on but I appreciate (all) of the encouragement. Perhaps that will give me the confidence to open up a bit, I was holding back and it's a bit flat in places. You know I never even made the connection between the song and Shrek (The Rufus Wainwright version was in the movie for anyone who still hasn't). That's funny. Thanks again Al.

Thanks Marc, you're right on the other video, I was SO nervous when I did that. It is encouraging to go back and look at earlier stuff and see your own progress. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks heaps Chris, it was your encouragement and your example that convinced me to have a go at singing it so thanks for that. Yes I'm 100% Aussie mate no question! :)

Thanks a lot wrench. I've heard a lot of people say that they can't play and sing but I say give it a go because I find it helps to take the focus away from the fingers and forces you to rely a bit on the muscle memory. I think it helps anyway. Thanks for taking time to comment mate.

AndyT

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:42 pm

About 35 years ago, a friend of mine said to me that everyone loses their accent when they sing. I guess its true.

Very well done Tony! Very well done!

tovo

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks Andy. Yes I think most of us lose the accent when singing. There are a couple of notable exceptions here in Australia though. Here's one:

dennisg

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:44 pm

tovo wrote:
Dennis the guitar is a Taylor 410ce. Had it about 3 months, had to sell stuff to raise the money as Taylors are very expensive here but I love it and although I'm a relatively new player I reckon having a nice guitar encourages you to pick it up more. Know what I mean?
Yes, now I remember your Taylor. Very, very nice guitar. In fact, I played that exact model today at my local guitar shop. It had a beautiful sound and lovely ovangkol wood. I had fully intended to buy a 414ce, until I discovered a used 614ce in perfect condition for even less money than the 414. I got lucky.

But I digress from the thread topic. Sorry. Everyone may now resume heaping praise on Tovo.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

RicksPick

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey Tony

Where are your wings that was angelic

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic