RicksPick Norwegian Wood

RicksPick

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 am

I'm back
Got my video cam back from the fixer's

I stood in front of window for the light
Most distracting lol

Well had to do a full reveal, homage to Michele.

Its getting there
Any tips going ???

RicksPick

Yamaha48

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:39 am

Hello Rick.
It look nice to play this tune.picking and strumming in one.
Nice that you will share this video with us.
I can here the metronome,thats very good.
You do a good job to play it,Karma fore you Rick.

Greet from the Netherlands Anton

jim56

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 am

Wow Rick your plate is full, you've been busy now that your camera is working. lol I've tried this tune but like all the other TARGET lessons I can't decide which one to practice, I like them all. Looking forward to your next recording of this tune. Jim

jayswett

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:47 am

I've tried this song, and for some reason found it more difficult to play than I thought it would be. Not sure why. Regarding your video, you hit the melody notes nicely, but the strumming sounds muted or perhaps "tinny" for some reason. I'm not sure how to describe it. In any case, two weeks from now, you will have it sounding incredible, and I'd love to see a followup video.

suziko

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 am

Very cool! Thanks for posting this, Rick! I've been playing this song for a while, but I'll admit that I'm still playing the "Neil version" of the melody, without the hammer-on/pull-off combo. I see you've got the "John version" (as I think Neil calls it) down.

I noticed the muted strumming sound, too (as Jay mentioned) but I wonder if it's more a problem with the sound capacity on your video camera?

Anyway, karma from me! Suzi

willem

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:52 am

Rick,good going and a good practice speed,,i plugged the easy way with the melody,,and much respect that you diong the hammer on or is it pull off, i can't remember that from the lesson,, i think when you speed up your tempo(stay slow now!) then the strumming part comes better better better...good to see you and goodluck on the practice....

reiver

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:20 am

Sheesh! This karma queue isn't getting any smaller...

I agree with Jay - I find this quite tricky (mainly due to a lazy pinky)

I can hear the muted effect that Jay and Suzi mention - when I try to play it I get that sound if I let my pinky lie across the top strings while I'm holding down the 4th string - or if I let my pinky roll my other fingers off the strings that they are holding down. Maybe something to look at.

Well done on using the metronome too - makes it even more difficult but well worth the effort.

Congratulations on a great post

r

BigBear

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:33 am

Rick- another nice effort! One of my favorite songs.

Since you asked for feedback may I suggest that this song has a real "bouncy" feel to it. You do very well staying right with the metronome but doing so makes the song mechanical and takes out the bounce.

If you listen to the tune closely there is a real emphasis on the first beat of every measure. This accented beat helps give the song its trademark feel. Plus the song really changes at the chorus when it transitions to the Dm chord. So if you are picking out the melody on the verse, the chorus is a good time to do all strums.

Keep up the great work buddy!! :cheer:

RicksPick

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow thanks for the response guys and gals
And a big thanks for the karma.
I will follow this with an updated version.

Thanks Anton, I try to use the metronome as much as possible
otherwise I speed up and slow down a lot.

Jim thanks, I try to sort of follow Neil's list of difficulty
to give me some direction.

Jay dude, yes I noticed that too not sure whats going on there,
I think that I,m not holding the D cleanly whilst holding my pinky on the 4th string??

Suzi dudette, I love those hammers and pulls, practice them a lot with all fingers, pinky is a little sore though.

Willem,Dude I hope to be as good as your strumming,lots of wrist action
maybe need to change angle of attack more ??
If i go to fast I lose it, so steady as she goes captain.

Thanks Reiver, using the metronome is harder as it's something else to distract me,lol
Will have to find the time to travel to other UK residents for a jam M8

Bear, wise old Bear,
I hear you, I need the metronome to control my speed but that makes me robotic, dammed if I do dammed if I don't.If I try to use my foot to keep time my leg gets a life of it's own and end up spinning round the room. lol but will try to work on it thanks.

Will try to work on all your suggestions,
Humble thanks

RicksPick

haoli25

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 pm

WOW Rick, You can't go wrong with good material...I love the Beatles. I had noticed before that this song has almost twice as many hits as any of the other Beatles' songs in the TARGET program. I think you did a very good job and I liked the hammer-ons and pull-offs too.
One suggestion for you, try moving your right hand farther back and pick and strum over the soundhole. It will give you a cleaner and fuller sound. Thank you for posting your video. Karma is on it's way.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic