My First Video Upload - Still the Same

__m__

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 am

AcousticAl wrote:
One thing I was adding in my head while you were playing was a walking base line from G back to C. You might want to try to add that for flavour.
I'm sorry, but could you please elaborate Al. I'm curious.

Lavallee

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:10 am

I thought that was very good Bob, you look very comfortable and relaxed. To add a little more soul to the song, you could emphasized a little more your strumming when your are changing chord as now the sound level is similar throughout the song. For the fun of it try to sing like Bob Seiger or play it with the song if you do not the words (and keep in mind where the voice is louder) and emphasize the strumming at the same time.

I also think that your video is technically correct. I did not notice the blurs you are refering to.

Karma for you

Marc

PS: where was your helper?

BigBear

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:57 am

Bob- Great job! Now we just have to get you to sing it too!

Tony stole my standard comment about playing with feeling and not so mechanically. I think a metronome contributes to this. They're great to get some timing but they kill the feel of the song.

Thanks for sharing this great song with us. I hope you post more in the future!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:02 am

BigBear wrote:
I think a metronome contributes to this. They're great to get some timing but they kill the feel of the song.
I think that's true in the beginning. Once you actually get your timing down, you can add 'feeling' to it.

michelew

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 am

Great job Bob. Karma to you.

Your strumming was great and really even. The sound and chord changes were clear and smooth and you looked great. You looked very relaxed - good for you. If you can sing and keep it together I say give it a go too. That might just give you a bit more incentive to play it at Bob Seger's speed.

Great job!

willem

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:40 am

There you are Bob,,fromm the little mirror into the big mirror(very creativ),,well the song comes nicely along, you can be proud,,even the Fchord,,,,you grip that well... i saw maybe one thing and thats on the Dm,,Neil say it with the pinky i believe,then you go easerrrrrrr, to the G?? but i like what i heard and saw,,,,,up to the next...and

Karmasatisfaction..

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am

Great job Bob and welcome to the posters' union! Really liked it. Great video quality and nice touch with the mirror, can see your hands fine. Good fingering on the left hand. I didn't find it too fast at all... it's about the same speed I'm playing at, as _m_ said, maybe we just like it that way. You could definitely get more accentuation on the right hand strum. Seger really bashes it out live. Bet you're singing with it privately ;-). Karma Chameleon is smiling at you Bob, more please!

_M_ , I was going to post that too, but don't let this hold you back. This would be great on 3 guitars! About the bass run Al mentioned. If you check out Neil's video, it's there at about 35 second in. Nice touch.

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:12 am

__m__ wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
One thing I was adding in my head while you were playing was a walking base line from G back to C. You might want to try to add that for flavour.
I'm sorry, but could you please elaborate Al. I'm curious.

I really like the sound of ascending and descending base notes as a link between chords (occasionally). I was just adding a descending base line it in my head- you know, the place where all my guitar playing is AMAZING :). I hadn't tried to translate it to the fret board. I'm hoping it would even work!

Maybe I can record a quick video to show what I mean. I'll mess around with it for a bit.

suziko

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 am

First of all, Bob, very well done! It's hard to "play with feeling" when the cold, dead eye of a camera is staring at you, and I'm sure if your loved ones were around you, you WOULD play with feeling, so I don't think you should worry too much about that. Your chords sounded pretty clean and transitions were smooth. Plus, I love this song! I'm tapped out on karma, but I'll hit you in 6 hours.

_M_ - As for the bass run, you can do an ascending bass run at the end of the chorus, before you transition back into the verse. You play maybe the first 2 beats of the G chord, then hit F ( then strum down up), E (down up), open D (down up). That's what I've done, anyway, when playing this song. I don't mean to jump into Al's turf, but he's the one who helped me out with this when I was practicing this song, so I doubt he'll mind. And if he still wants to make a video, I'm sure that would be even more helpful.

BobR

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:48 am

I just want to thank everyone for all the positive feedback. I will try it again in a while and hope there is some improvement in those areas. BTW I do try to sing in my head but have yet to be able to do it out loud(and I think my wife likes it that way :laugh: )

Thanks again
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic