What Child Is This?- Suziko

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:56 pm

Jay- As someone whose playing I have admired and been inspired by, that means a lot. I have conflicted feelings about the idea of "talent." I grew up thinking that talent meant you could do something without trying or working at all, so figured I was never talented at anything much. As I've gotten older I've started to reevalute that definition, but I still have a hard time considering myself "talented" at anything that I respect. Anything I'm good at, I always figure anyone could do, if they put in the time.

Gary- thanks so much for your kind words. I'm really glad you liked my version of this song. Happy Holidays!

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Kevin- I'm sorry it's not working for you. It works fine for me, but since I posted it, I might not be the best indicator of whether the file is corrupt or not.

Aitch- Thanks, and I sure do love my Taylor!

temo44

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:14 am

Waw that was amazing! How long have you been playing now? Keep up the nice work! :-)

Oh.. And how does the strap help for you? I've asked a guitar strap for christmas ;-)

haoli25

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 am

WOW Suzi, what a beautiful video! Take a bow, dear lady, you've earned it.

Bill Image

heyjoe

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:42 am

Well done suzi, if that was your first fingerpicking song then I can't wait to see what you do with your next one, that was some good picking going on there.

I've started using a strap and the difference it makes is quite surprising, its made me relax more, which is just what I need to do.

As for working with a metronome, I'm doing that too, and you know its going to improve the sound of your songs, it has mine!

Good on you for posting the first christmas song

Joe

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 am

Anything I'm good at, I always figure anyone could do, if they put in the time.
One of the greatest sportsmen who ever lived said something similar Suz: "It's 10% talent and 90% hard work" - Jahangir Khan, 10x world squash champion and undefeated over 5 years 10 months in the 1980's

And something else I've observed... if you have the deep desire to do (achieve) something and you take action on that desire, you are halfway there, even if no previous talent was evident.

dustystrings

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 am

Excellent job, Suzi, I really enjoyed this.
You have lifted my spirits when they needed a little help.

suziko

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 am

Temo- Thanks! I started playing about 2 years ago, but really only started playing regularly (trying to play every day for at least one hour, having some kind of focus and not just noodling around with my guitar once in a while) this year. As for the strap, I have found it really useful. I like how it stabilizes the guitar on my body, so that my hands are free to worry about actually playing! Also, I can lift the neck up higher, which makes playing barre chords easier.

Bill- Thank you!

Joe- It's not the first fingerpicking song that I've worked on, just the first one I've learned all the way through. I've been practicing "Dust in the Wind" and "House of the Rising Sun" but never gotten either to a stage where I felt like I could post a video for them (I'm stymied by that interlude in Dust!). I like fingerpicking and would like to do more of that in the future.

Chris- good points, all.

suziko

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:42 am

DustyStrings- You snuck in while I was responding to the last group. What a nice thing to say. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Happy Holidays! Suzi

willem

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:45 am

Susan,,wonderfull,,,

What child is this, who, laid to rest,
on Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
while sheperds watch are keeping

This, this is christ the king
whom sheperds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring him laud, the babe,
the son of Mary.

thanks!!!! karma oh oo oh its the button is gone ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic