Much respect here
That was wonderful
Left hand position we all envy
KKKKKarma 4 u

RicksPick

TGMatt

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Well done

The whole keep your hand low thing I struggled with too, great job..

tovo

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Great job Suzi. Funny I knew the tune right off but never knew the name of it. You did well to do it in one take that's for sure. Nice setting as well with the Christmas tree for mood. Very nice finger picking effort, I expect you will be doing more of that. I loved it.

Yamaha48

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Hello Suzi.
A nice classical song,and the christmast three on your richt site.
Gifs a nice pickture.
The strap helps you(i think)fore a good hand hand possition.
Thanks fore share this video.

Greet Anton

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the kind words and also the suggestions.

Dennis- it was a challenging song for me, since I haven't done much finger picking, but I've always thought it was a beautiful song, so it was very rewarding to work on.

Wrench- that was actually exactly that I thought of when I decided to try to film this today: that I didn't have to get a "perfect" take, that I should just try to play it nicely, and even if there are mistakes it will still be useful for myself and others. I thought Neil's advice on that was incredibly liberating and helpful.

As for my right hand, I think you're right. I think I should probably spend some more time looking at some of Neil's videos on fingerstyle technique to try to improve that.

Mark- Thanks! My goal when I decided to post videos was 1 video/month which, for right now at least, is a good, do-able goal for me. I don't think posting more would be useful for me.

Rick and Matt- Thank you!

Tony- I'm glad you liked the setting. I thought it might be nice having the Xmas tree in the background. As for finger picking, I have wanted to move in that direction for a while and am finally starting to. I love it. Next- "Hallelujah"!

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Anton- You snuck in while I was typing my other "thank you" post!

This has always been one of my favorite traditional folk songs, so I was happy to have the chance to learn it. I do think the strap is a big help. That way my left hand is not also working to stabilize the guitar.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Way to go Suzi! Loved it. I have always enjoyed that tune. You are kicking butt! You need to get your daughter a small guitar for Xmas and start teaching her.....

Karma to you young lady!

MJ

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 pm

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Excellent version, Suzi!

Karma is gift wrapped and under your tree!!

dennisg

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:32 pm

I probably have no right to post this, seeing as how I've yet to do a video, but I've completely gotten over my camera jitters. I did it by setting up my camera and recording all my practice sessions. After a couple of days of this, the camera is just another piece of furniture. It's when it's something new, something unusual to focus on, something intrusive to stare at you that it becomes a problem. Just record your practices. Real estate on your SD card is free -- and you can always erase it. Plus, watching your practices later on is helpful.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

AndyT

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:16 pm

My wife and I went to a recital yesterday and a girl played this. Her hand position was bad, her timing was way off, and lots of other things needed correcting. You had none of those problems. Very well done! Karmalized Candy coming at you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic