What Child Is This?- Suziko

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 am

This is a song I wanted to learn ever since I started playing the guitar. I was excited when Neil posted his lesson, and even more excited to see it was only a "2." Well, this was the toughest level 2 song I've played! It took me a few weeks to get it to this point.

Many firsts here for me:

1. First person to upload a holiday song, which I did not expect! I kept expecting someone else to post this song before I could get it memorized.

2. First fingerstyle song that I've learned all the way through.

3. First time I've uploaded my "first try" at filming a song. There are a few mistakes, but I doubted very much I could have captured a much better version, and frankly the whole filming process stresses me out so much that I'm always glad to have it done with.

4. First video with my new guitar strap. Thanks to a few people (Michele, Al, and others I'm sure) for recommending I get one. It really does help, at least for me.

5. First song I practiced with a metronome.

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Happy Holidays to you all!

MarkM

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:37 am

Suziko,

Great job!!!! I've been wanting to tackle a fingerstyle song and you just made me think twice about this one. I'll try and get it down over the next day or two. I can't say enough how well this is. Certainly for your first time. Fantastic!!!!

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks, Mark! I'd recommend giving this song a go if you want to get some practice with a fingerstyle song. It was (to me, anyway), challenging enough to keep me interested, but not so difficult that I felt despair!

mark

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:58 am

That was really excellent.

Your left hand position is excellent. I'm really envious.

Regarding the stressful filming business. I've recorded myself quite a lot over the last few months to monitor any progress and the thumping heart and sweaty palms have gone now.

suziko

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks, Mark!

Re. my left hand- one good thing about coming to TG as a fairly new guitar player was that I didn't have any firmly entrenched bad habits. I've been working on "dropping my wrist" since I joined, and it's finally starting to happen without thinking about it too much.

Re. stage fright- yes, hopefully over time that will get better.

BobR

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 pm

First take, excellent, I thought it was terrific. Relaxed and seemed comfortable. I only noticed one timing that didn't seem to affect anything.

Great Job,
Bob

eagle670

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 pm

I will have to take a look at your video when I get home from work, for some reason my office won't let me do that during the work day. Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the song and the level 2 that Neil gave it. I can play most finger style songs on this site, but for some reason this one really gave me a hard time. I still hav'nt got it down completely and I have been working on it for a few weeks now. I am glad you tackled it and I am sure that you did a great job.

Happy Holidays!

Kevin

BigBear

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 pm

Suzi- your progress is a joy to behold! Just a fantastic job on a really beautiful song! Plus, you get a two-fer. As soon as Christmas is over you can now say you can play Greensleeves!! lol!

You should be really proud of your progress. All your hard work is definately paying off!

Cheers! :cheer:

Moondog

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Your doing a great job!

That song is, at least for me, a lot harder than what it is rated at.

Mike

reiver

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Suzi Suzi Suzi!

That was great.....

Beautiful song, beautiful setting, beautifully played. Made me feel all Christmas-y. All that was missing was Neil's Santa hat.

The left leg position seems to be working well for you.

For a first attempt at a first finger picking song you should be very proud.

Enjoyed it a lot.....thanks for posting

r

ps karma on its way

pps if you fancy trying a Neil Young version and need a harmonica track in there just let me know!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic