Temo44 - Test intro nothing else matters

temo44

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:04 am

I've only started playing a couple of weeks, and I wanted to try if my webcam and sound are good enough...

And can I just upload any question/song/part that I want? I see a lot of experienced people uploading their vids, so I'm a little bit shy of posting a beginners video.

Comments and feedback welcome!

AndyT

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:15 am

First off, Put the light in front of you and behind the camera. Other than that, really good for your first vid. You sounded great for someone who just started playing! No worries!

I remember being young and learning fast like that.

jayswett

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 am

Several comments:

1) very nice first video. See Rock N' Roll Preacher Man's comments above. The song sounds very nice.

2) Looks like you are already fingerpicking, which I think is more difficult than strumming and flat picking

3) You will find all levels here at TG. Feel free to post a video of any kind. It can be a performance piece, an update demonstrating improvement, or even a question if you have an issue that is difficult to put into words.

4) Don't be shy. As far as I'm concerned, the beginners are the most fun to watch since they (we) show so much improvement so quickly. You won't get any negative or critical feedback. Just suggestions for improvement.

wrench

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:58 am

A couple of weeks? You are off to a good start, and there is no better place on earth to learn than right here. Your webcam and sound are fine, just re-position your lighting as Andy suggested.

I am very much looking forward to watching your skills grow here with us, my young friend.

wrench

mark

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:59 am

Like Jay said don't be shy about posting a video.

Everybody is very supportive here.
It can be good to see peoples progress as well.

Sometimes people do an updated video to show how the song is progressing.

suziko

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:20 am

Nice job, Temo! I wish I had played that well after only a few weeks of practice.

One technical note- it's nice if we can see both hands well when you're playing. Your right hand is mostly cut off in this video, so maybe just move your chair back a bit. That way people can give you advice on both your fretting hand and your strumming/picking hand.

AcousticAl

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:33 am

Hey Temo, great job! This is a great fingerpicking song- but definitely not an easy one to start with. I think I may be the only other TG-er to tackle it in a video so far.

If you're looking for any video recording tips, check out the TG Techies Group. Lots of info in there- everything from lighting to sound to programs that people are using to get their videos uploaded.

See you around!

Al

temo44

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:16 am

Thank you for all your comments! It's truly amazing how many replies you get within an afternoon.. I really love this song.

@AcousticAl The really hard part is the bar chord that comes after this little intro. It's just that I can barely place my fingers... It's so low(high chord? ;-) ) on the guitar.. Do you have any tips on that?

@AndyT I will mind the lighting problem.. I didn't think of it when shooting the vid.

@Suziko Thanks for the tip! It's really nice to know that people look at your vid with..uh..how do you say it... concern? Also nice that there are no people that make fun of you like they do on sites like youtube.. Thanks!

heyjoe

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:11 am

Hi Temo

Well done on posting the video.
After a few weeks playing you're already attempting nothing else matters, wow, that is a tough tune to play, good for you.

As for any advice, on top of the good advice that has already been given, all I would say is rather than taking on a whole tune all in one go, break it down into little sections, learn little bits at a time, and then start piecing thing together. Its far less daunting learning tunes that way.

Before anyone else says this, and from experience, if you can, practice with a metronome, its something I've only just started doing after 20+ years of playing the guitar, and it makes a huge difference.

I'm sure we'd all like to see another video of you doing this song in a few months to see how you've progressed.

Joe

AcousticAl

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm

temo44 wrote:
@AcousticAl The really hard part is the bar chord that comes after this little intro. It's just that I can barely place my fingers... It's so low(high chord? ;-) ) on the guitar.. Do you have any tips on that?
You've got to get your index finger/barre down first- then worry about placing the rest of your fingers down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic