True colors by Mark - first go at transcribing

mark

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:48 am

I've never had a very good ear for music.
Recently I've realised that to really progress I have to improve it.

I really want to get out of the "I haven't got the tab for it so I can't play it" mentality.

Here's my first go at transcribing from a youTube video. I picked something relatively slow and not too complicated.

It took me 3 hours to work out what was being played here and type it into GuitarPro. Seems like a long time for such a short song.

My real question is, will this actually improve my ear at all. Essentially I have a very good view of somebody playing something and have essentially just copied it using sight as much as my ear.
I've also go some slow down and loop software to help me do it.

Here is the original

http://www.youtube.com/user/JOJOLAFRITU ... -HfVWVb-j4

and here is my go. Played at a slower tempo

Comments welcome.
First of all have I got it right?

wrench

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:05 am

Mark,

Sounds spot-on to me. A very impressive transcription debut.

Now I have a question for you, as I have not yet done any transcription. Did you use any theory in the transcription process?

Very well done, and much respect here knowing you worked hard for it. [strike]Kar[/strike] - make that a Pizza Point! Thanks for posting.

wrench

suziko

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 am

Mark,

I have always loved that song; probably the only Cyndi Lauper song I would still happily listen to on a regular basis.

Your version sounded entirely faithful to me, and also very beautifully played. I'm impressed! I would like at some point to be able to transcribe songs instead of always relying on TAB (especially as oftentimes the TAB you find online isn't even accurate!). Right now that feels so far beyond my ability, but it's something I'd like to tackle at some point. I know that MJ is doing some transcribing. Maybe you guys should start a thread/group on transcribing hints and methods, so that we can all learn from your experience.

So, are you going to give us your TAB for that? I want to learn that song! ;)

Lastly, Karm- oh, wait.......

Suzi

willem

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 am

Wel done Mark,,,i'm soorry for you that your view is better then your ear..Qeustion,, i heard the chorus melodie did you??

mark

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:07 am

Wrench - I didn't use any musical theory to do it. Probably that is why it took so long.
I recognised the chord shapes and then figured out the melody notes one by one by trail and error. As I went along I wrote down what I thought was right into GuitarPro. I'd then try and play along with the original to make sure I had it right.
I have some slow down software which made it easier by slowing down and looping the video.
I choose quite an easy video because you can see both hands very clearly.

suziko - of course you (or anybody else) can have the tab. I can send you either the GuitarPro file or a pdf. Just pm me with your email address and let me know what you want.
Like you, it's the only Cyndi Lauper song I would listen to.

michelew

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:22 pm

I being this with the confession..."I know nothing"...

But, I think that finding the melody and more by ear is good for everyone's development as a musician. It tunes your brain into the notes on the guitar and more I'm sure. Has to be.... Regardless its something I intend to do too. I'll put it in the learning queue.

Mark - that sounded very pretty - I love your style.

What a great thing to do

Pizza to you!

tovo

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:34 pm

That was great Mark, really enjoyed it. I always look forward to your stuff. I'm a bit shocked though, I would have thought 'Girls just wanna have fun' would be right up there on your list of favs??

johnrfeeney

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:35 pm

excellent

but this is from a guy who can only tab twinkle twinkle little star

reiver

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Mark

Congratulations on a great job of transcribing and, of course, beautifully played as usual.

I don't have much of an ear either, but what I do to try to improve is just play along with stuff - on TV (adverts/theme tunes), radio, anything - just trying to pick out the melody in real time. Most of the time I'm out, but with practice you'll start to get closer and closer. Then you'll start to recognise patterns as you play. As I said I have no great ear for the music either, but I have found that this helps

And it's quite good fun.

r

jayswett

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Enjoyed that quite alot. I missed the cat, though.

As for your question, I definitely believec that this sort of thing does help with your development as a musician. Yes, you had a video, and looping software, etc, but I have no doubt that the more of these you do, the closer you will be to being able to do it without these tools. I, too, look forward to your videos as they represent a level of playing I'd like to reach one day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic