True colors by Mark - first go at transcribing

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Mark:

That was great. You should be proud of this! I really enjoyed it.

Transcribing can be very daunting. My ear is not very well trained. I can listen and if someone misses a note, I can tell, but I cannot listen to a song and tell you right away what key it is in and what all of the chords are by name. Way beyond me at this point. I am currently working on the transcription of a few songs from a chord standpoint, not figuring out picking patterns like yours. Bang up job man!

Cheers and pizza points to you!

MJ

BobR

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Mark,

Transcribing is something people have told me to try, but I have not tried it yet. I guess I found it easier to just get guitar pro tab on line and use it. Seems like to progress I better try it for myself.

Great job by the way !! :woohoo:

I am not sure about the pizza but you'd definitely get one from me. Do you like pepperoni?

Bob

AcousticAl

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Another winner, Mark. I've never tried transcribing, but I've heard that it's one way to really get your playing to the next level.

I really liked your finger rolls in your post as well. That's something that I'm still working on in 'Imagine'.

mark

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:44 am

tovo wrote:
That was great Mark, really enjoyed it. I always look forward to your stuff. I'm a bit shocked though, I would have thought 'Girls just wanna have fun' would be right up there on your list of favs??
I've got nothing against Girls just having fun but I don't think I'll be playing that song.

I might have to have a bite of your pizza for that joke :laugh:

Lavallee

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Mark, you are reaching a new level: being self sufficient as a player to find out how a song is played. We all aspire to that. You have used the available tools for this one, eventually you will not need anything else but your ear.

Very impressed

Marc

mark

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:25 am

BobR wrote:
Mark,

Transcribing is something people have told me to try, but I have not tried it yet. I guess I found it easier to just get guitar pro tab on line and use it. Seems like to progress I better try it for myself.

Bob
I think that is exactly it. It's so much easier to have the tab and learn it from that. But so many times I have heard something that I would like to play and realised that I can't because there is no tab for it.
I think it will improve us much more as musicans if we gain these skills.

mark

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:29 am

AcousticAl wrote:
I really liked your finger rolls in your post as well. That's something that I'm still working on in 'Imagine'.
The finger rolls take time to get right.
I found that I got to the stage where about half of them were coming out right and the rest were going wrong.
With practice the percentage gets slowly better.
They are definately worth persevering with.

mark

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 am

Lavallee wrote:
You have used the available tools for this one, eventually you will not need anything else but your ear.
yes I couldn't have done this without the help of the video. I think small steps at the moment

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 am

Nice job! you picked it out really well.

Something I've been doing to help train my ear is to play along with YouTube videos with no TAB or music of any kind. I make myself find the key they are in and figure it out from there. I suprise myself sometimes how right I get.

heyjoe

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Mark

Well done, you've done a very good job with the song.
Transcribing can be a very long process, but from the little bit of it I've done, I know it can be very beneficial. I remember from another post you said you were looking to train your ear, did doing the transcription help?

You say small steps at the moment, I don't think so, doing what you've just done is a huge step, give yourself a pat on the back.

Joe

edit: forgot to say, great fingerpicking as usual

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic