MarkM - The Beatles Cry Baby Cry - First Video

MarkM

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:18 pm

FINALLY... First video. Hopefully I'll get this right. Should be working today. Actually have to run to a meeting in a few hours but I've got one foot, leg, half a torso already in vacation mode. So I started fiddling with this song last night and figured I'd put it up. I know its not one of the TARGET songs. I'll get some of those up soon as well. (next week while I'm actually on vacation). Never thought the camera would get me nervous but I have to admit it did as I pictured you all out there in the ether taking a look at this. Hope you can recognize it...

MarkM

Yea I know the G fingering is the lazy way out. Blame the knucklehead who taught me that when I was a kid.....Trying to work that out over time...

dennisg

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Mark,

So, when you got nervous because you pictured all of us out here watching you, did you imagine that half of us would be in our underwear?

Still nervous?

Mark, you did a great job with an unheralded Beatles song from the tail end of the White Album. I've always loved this song. You've definitely got the chords down, and your tempo is consistent. One of the things you could do to improve your chord phrasing is to emphasize the first and third beat of every measure. That's what the Beatles do, and it's a very effective technique for adding complexity and listenability to the song.

Hope this helps.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

AcousticAl

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Hey Mark,

Was going to say something similar to Dennis re. your strumming. I don't know the song myself, but you seem rock solid with your strumming/timing. Different accented strums would make it more interesing.

Technically speaking, try doing a 180 degree shift with both you AND your camera. Put your light source (window) behind the camera and your vid will be much better quality.

Congrats on your 1st video post!

Yamaha48

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Hello MarkM welcome by the TG video club.
Nice how you play this song.
Its richt what Dennis say,
Im stand behind Dennis words,what he write.
Thanks fore share this nice video.

Greet from the Netherlands Anton

reiver

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Good job Mark - the first one's the hardest.

Maybe a lighter pick would make accenting/softening some of the beats a bit easier, but the chord changes and timing were great.

Thanks for the post

r

suziko

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Nicely done, Mark! A Beatles tune I've always liked. By the way, it's not a problem posting non-Target songs. You can post a video for any song you want.

Welcome to the TG video-poster club!

Suzi

michelew

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Mark,

Smooth changes, constant time, gusto - sounded really good. Great job.

Got the bug now? I'm guessing that there'll be more coming soon.

Michele

wrench

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:02 pm

dennisg wrote:
Mark,

So, when you got nervous because you pictured all of us out here watching you, did you imagine that half of us would be in our underwear?

Still nervous?

- Dennis (in Seattle)
A great first post Mark. Welcome to club of video posters. Looking forward to more.

It's OK to imagine half of us in underwear, but when I make a TG video, I hope ALL of us are wearing underwear!

Nice job, Mark.

wrench

tovo

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Good job Mark, Dennis has covered the strumming accents but I thought your chord changes were really very solid. The G shouldn't be that hard to relearn, worth the effort. I can say that when I first watched Neil's advice on fingering G and A I was a bit reluctant to change but quickly saw the value of those fingerings, you will too. Good tip from Al on lighting as well, I'll remember that one.

Well done mate.

jayswett

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:04 pm

I love that song, and loved your version. In addition to accenting the first and third strums, you might also consider accenting the base note on the first beat of each measure. I don't believe that is what is done on the original version, but if you are playing the song solo as an instrumental, it might add a little variation. Looking forward to your next video. I presume you are taking your guitar with you on vacation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic