'Tears in Heaven' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey TG,

You may have seen a sample of me doing this in the TG Techies Group when I was demo-ing the MicroBR for Reiver. I figured I might as well record the whole thing and post it for feedback.

I've been working on this one on and off since I took live guitar lessons a year and a half ago. I see some things that I still need to work on, but I'd like to hear from you before I give my thoughts.

Thanks for checking it out.

haoli25

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Nice job AL. No critique from me, just applause. As a matter of fact, I'm going back to watch it for the 3rd time.

Bill Image

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks Bill.

OK- since you didn't critique, here's one..

I don't think I have the timing of the chorus down yet. The part that goes:

Time can bring you down
Time can bend your knee
Time can break your heart
Have you begging please
Begging please

reiver

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Very nice Al - like Bill I've watched a few times through and can offer no advice, just praise.

On an aside, it sounds like (like me) you use your thumb pad rather than nail. Have you tried - or thought of trying a thumb-pick? Have we had this conversation before.......? It's late.

Great post

r

Lavallee

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi Al, very good rendition, If anything the rhythm is sometimes broken as you are looking for the notes on your sheet, but this is only practice. On the technical side maybe the hammer on/pull off with the pinky could be a little stronger. I think that you always present good videos and I always make sure not to missed them.

Marc

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:14 pm

reiver wrote:
Very nice Al - like Bill I've watched a few times through and can offer no advice, just praise.

On an aside, it sounds like (like me) you use your thumb pad rather than nail. Have you tried - or thought of trying a thumb-pick? Have we had this conversation before.......? It's late.

Great post

r
I hadn't noticed that about using my thumb pad, reiver. But that leads me to the first thing that I noticed about my right hand positioning-- it's not good. I still need to bend my wrist and angle my fingers more towards the floor. I think the non-angle that I have now is giving me no choice but to use my thumb pad rather than my thumb nail.

BobR

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Al,

Great job. I have always liked that song(unfortunate the way it came about) anyway, the sound your getting is very good. I wish I could do the fingerpicking that easily.

Bob

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Al, very good rendition, If anything the rhythm is sometimes broken as you are looking for the notes on your sheet, but this is only practice. On the technical side maybe the hammer on/pull off with the pinky could be a little stronger. I think that you always present good videos and I always make sure not to missed them.

Marc

Thanks Marc. Yes, the rhythm is a bit choppy in spots. Actually, I did most of the song from memory. The only page of tab that I had open was to the chorus part that I'm still not sure of. Just gotta keep practicing I guess.

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 pm

BobR wrote:
Hi Al,

Great job. I have always liked that song(unfortunate the way it came about) anyway, the sound your getting is very good. I wish I could do the fingerpicking that easily.

Bob

Thank you Bob.

You're right.. you can't play or hear this song without thinking of the story behind it. Doesn't change the fact that it's a beautiful song.

tovo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Al I love that tune and would sure love to be able to play it as well as you do. I don't feel that I can offer you any really good technical advice. My observation was just that there were a couple of sections that flowed slightly less well than the song did overall but that is clearly just practice. Did you get the TAB from your guitar teacher or?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic