'Tears in Heaven' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:13 am

willem wrote:
Well, well Al,that you did very well, i love that song,,for me it is not thinking of the story,,anybody can make his own story on any song,this song is worth to learn,you can even think on it as a Xmas song,,the whole year you don't hear the song and with Christmas he comes along(radio),,,cheeese

Good thoughts Willem. In my opinion, a good song's meaning changes depending on who's listening to it. A person hears the lyrics, and relates them to their own life experiences.

'Fire & Rain' is a good example. I heard James Taylor talking about it in an interview-- about how people affected by the 9-11 tragedy used the song for solace and found meaning in its words. Like it was written specifically for their situation, which was obviously not the case.

Yamaha48

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:23 am

Hello Al.
Thanks fore share this nice video from your self,with this song.
You doing a great job with it.
I think you play this tune with your heart.
Thank my friend.

Greet Anton

jim56

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 am

Simply Beautiful,

That tune does evoke emotions when I hear it. No criticism from me, you did a great peformance.

Be Well, -Jim

suziko

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:35 am

You played this really nicely, Al. I'm working on angling my right hand more toward the floor, too, when fingerpicking. I noticed in my last video that my hand is more like yours is in this video, which I know is not the ideal form. Having it pointed downwards feels awkward, but I'm sure if you just keep doing it, it eventually feels natural. Nice job! Suzi

dennisg

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:59 am

Al, you're an inspiration on so many levels, not the least of which is doing a video without shaving.

Seriously, I enjoy every one of your excellent videos, not just for the beautiful music you produce, but for the technical quality of the videos themselves.

As for "Tears from heaven," I always had a sense from hearing it on the radio that it must be a difficult song to play, and after seeing a good guitarist like you work with it, the feeling is confirmed. Yeah, it could be a little smoother in parts, but you'll nail that soon enough with concentrated practice. I have to say that I really enjoyed seeing some unfamiliar chords being played.

All in all, a terrific job. Congrats, Al.

- Dennis

MarkM

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Al, that was really nice. It's one of the songs that I'll try as one of my first fingerpicking songs. Beautiful song. You did a great job. As time passes I'm sure you'll memorize all the notes and then you'll work on the emotion/phrasing of the song. Can't wait to see the progress.

MarkM

goldleaf

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Al, really a nice song and played very well. Your video and audio are excellent. Another Gold Star by Al. You mentioned demoing Micro BR, do you have Micro BR, have you used it, do you use it in your video's. Gary

jayswett

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Nothing to add as far as suggestions go. You will have that song nailed before Christmas, I'm sure. I'm curious how you feel about your improvement as a guitar player, because from what I can tell, you are making progress by leaps and bounds. Nicely done.

wrench

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Al, when you get this piece smoothed out, it's going to be great.

This is another example of a TG piece that is more enjoyable to listen to than the original. I think you really raised the bar for yourself on this one.

I am horrible at fingerpicking, and trying hard to figure out why, but in looking at fingerstyle videos, I see that players with straight wrists tend to "claw" the strings, meaning that the thumb and fingers are pointing in a similar direction. Good right hand position with an angled wrist makes the thumb and fingers 90 degrees apart like a "thumbs up" position, except the thumb is pointing left. Since I am just trying to learn fingerstyle, I monitor the right hand position for a thumbs up position. And I have to go with reiver on the thumbpick - the best hand position just makes you need one.

wrench

dekotaj

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 am

Al, great job! That's not an easy song...I've heard a lot of people really make a mess of it. You on the other hand did the song justice...congratulations!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic