'Tears in Heaven' by AcousticAl

heyjoe

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 am

Hi Al

No critique from me either, you're a smart enough guy to know what needs working on, even before you posted the video. It's a song I've tried learning in the past and know how hard it is to learn, you've done a very good job. I think as you play it more, it'll smoothen out and be the way you want it.

Well done, and may I say, impressive facial hair...were you tempted to do the 'mo-vember' thing?

Joe

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. Much appreciated. I'll respond to some of the questions below..

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Suzi & Wrench,

The right hand angle is something that I've needed to work on since Neil's video review of me playing 'Brain Damage'. I'm aware of it and always need to make a conscious effort to bend my wrist. Totally forgot when the camera turned on though.

My bad.

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Dennis & MarkM,

You're right that it isn't an easy song to master. I've been working on it on and off for a LONG time now. Mark- if you've never fingerpicked before, I don't know if I'd recommend starting with Tears. You might be better off with a simpler song like 'House of the Rising Sun' imho.

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:47 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Al, really a nice song and played very well. Your video and audio are excellent. Another Gold Star by Al. You mentioned demoing Micro BR, do you have Micro BR, have you used it, do you use it in your video's. Gary
Hi Gary,

Yes, I own a microBR. I used it to record this song- I think I mixed the internal mic with a line in from my guitar.

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:51 pm

jayswett wrote:
Nothing to add as far as suggestions go. You will have that song nailed before Christmas, I'm sure. I'm curious how you feel about your improvement as a guitar player, because from what I can tell, you are making progress by leaps and bounds. Nicely done.

Hey Jay,

Interesting question. I had the same discussion with Suzi- I think we all underestimate how well we're doing as guitarists. I was at a friend's place last night and they asked me to play a bit. They seemed impressed, which was cool.

But I do frustrate myself sometimes- that I keep taking on new songs before REALLY getting them down cold. Need to rectify that.

tovo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:55 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
jayswett wrote:
Nothing to add as far as suggestions go. You will have that song nailed before Christmas, I'm sure. I'm curious how you feel about your improvement as a guitar player, because from what I can tell, you are making progress by leaps and bounds. Nicely done.

Hey Jay,

Interesting question. I had the same discussion with Suzi- I think we all underestimate how well we're doing as guitarists. I was at a friend's place last night and they asked me to play a bit. They seemed impressed, which was cool.

But I do frustrate myself sometimes- that I keep taking on new songs before REALLY getting them down cold. Need to rectify that.
I thought you were pretty good when I first saw your playing Al but agree with Jay, you just seem to be improving heaps every post. You're not alone either, every video that goes up shows how quickly people are progressing. All very inspirational I must say and a credit to TG also.

I keep going back to check out this video and I'm really glad it's getting a good airing, you do a great job of it and I can't wait to see the next update.

willem

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Another voice in the chorus: you really do sound great. The song has real emotion, and you're version conveys it very nicely.

Great post, thanks.

dekotaj

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Timing is something we all deal with.Its what makes songs sound so good.But first we must learn them.And I must say one heck of a start.I to have trouble with this part also.And no one has a rainbow till thy have some rain.(JIM CROCE).BRAVO!I think Ill go watch it again.Thank you Kevin

oxlopez

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Great job Al! No critiques from me. You know that with more practice and a few more filler notes you'll have mastered this song. Keep up the good work!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic