"For No One" -- a somewhat obscure Beatles song -- first upload

dennisg

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Al,

I think most of what i record will be with a voice, so I'll want to use a mic with the guitar. In looking at my amp, my options seem to be to use the mono Line Out or the headphone jack on the amp. There is no headphone jack on the camera, although there's a tiny a/v out.

Temo,

I forgot to answer your second question: I'm very familiar with the song because I grew up listening to it. The chords are pretty easy and the picking pattern isn't very complicated. So I didn't need a lot of time to practice the song. The only thing new to me was the little instrumental solo, but even that was pretty simple. I practiced the song for probably 90 minutes before recording it. Again, it was my first video, and I wanted to do something easy -- mostly to test the recording, editing and uploading processes, all of which were new to me. I used iMovie on my Mac to edit.

wrench,

I know what you mean about songs that stick in your head. It's like a delicious, recurring itch. I get that way with new songs I hear that have unusual things going on in them. For the past couple of days, it's been "It's been a long, long time," an old World War II-era song done by Bing Crosby that has the most amazing chords in it. I'm thinking about working on an arrangement of that. I doubt anyone's thinking about doing it. By all means, sing. Don't let a little thing like a crushed trachea stand in your way. You'll get nothing but support here, especially considering how few people sing. I appreciate the compliment on my singing, but I'd love to have my old pre-gland-removal voice back that was present before Doctor Edward Scissorhands got ahold of me. So many singers are high tenors, and I just can't come close to hitting those notes anymore. Wish I still could. A guy can falsetto only so much.

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Guess you don't need to monitor with headphones on the camera end. That would have just given you an immediate way to tell what signal you were recording. You can just do some tests and play them back on your computer to see if you're getting both channels of audio or not.

I don't know the Z18, so I can only speak to how I'm recording at present. If your cable has a mono connector on one end (amp)- and stereo on the other (camera), it should put signal on both channels for you. At least that's what my config does.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic