"For No One" -- a somewhat obscure Beatles song -- first upload

dennisg

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Gulp!

I had a hard time deciding what to do for my first upload, and I ended up with something easy. "For No One" is a Beatles song I've always thought was beautiful, yet extremely sad. I started working on it a couple of days ago.

The chording is extremely easy -- I won't lie to you: C, Em, Am, C, F, Bb. The chorus is Dm, A7, finally ending in G7. Really. That's all there is to it. The one thing I added was the little instrumental embellishment that was played, as I recall, by a french horn on the record. You remember records, don't you? Big, black vinyl things?

For those who care, it was played with a Taylor 614ce through a Roland AC-60 amp. The amp has a Chorus effect, which accounts for the sort of calliope quality to the guitar. Regarding my voice: there was a time when I actually had some strength there, but I had throat surgery about 18 months ago, was completely without a voice for 12 weeks, and haven't fully recovered it. I probably never will. But that doesn't seem to stop me from singing. Anyway, that explains why I have to capo it up in order to find a key I'm actually capable of singing in.

A special thanks to Al for convincing me I don't need to shave in order to shoot a video.

- Dennis

tovo

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Dennis good job mate! As you said, an obscure Beatles number but a good one, glad to hear it again.

I'm not a fan of effects, would rather hear it without, but I was a fan of your performance. Look forward to the next one and well done on getting over the 1st one which is the hardest for sure. Congrats also on adding the vocals.

Oh and that 614ce is just beautiful, my jealousy knows no bounds! :)

TGMatt

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Nice...I had never even heard that song until now

Thx

michelew

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm

I loved it Dennis - beautifully played! Cool singing, crisp playing, fab sound - fab all round.

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey Dennis, the yellow pallor is almost gone! You must have been sitting in the sun lately. LOL I like the artwork in the background. Has a 'organic motion' quality to it.

Really nice job on the guitar. The mic was a bit low in volume though. Hard to hear your golden tones.

Your timing is good but it seemed to have a 'forced' sound to it. It did not feel as if it was flowing smoothly together. When you finish one note, let it ring right into the next one. Try not to stop the last note sounding as you move your fretting hand. That will give your playing an overall smoothness. I guess that comes from practice. You've got the barres working and sounding good. You're halfway there my friend.

One suggestion... When you shave, stand closer to the razor. LOL! Just kidding! Welcome to the Bearded Cool Guys Club!

MarkM

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Dennis,

That was a great version of a great song. Love the part you did replacing the french horn. You're too modest. That song isn't easy. I'd love to learn that one. I do have to agree with Tovo on the effects though. You have such a nice guitar. I'd love to hear that Maple sing!! It would be intereting to hear the song done naturally and then hit the switch to use and effect on the French horn part. Thanks for the video. Great job on a wonderful song.

MarkM

suziko

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Dennis,

Yeah!! I love this song; it's always been one of my favorite Beatles tunes (I feel like I've been saying that a lot in these uploaded videos; guess you all just pick songs I really like). Anyway, nice job! I am going to give that song a try starting tomorrow. I think I can work out the verses based on your video and your detailed description; any chance you could pm me with the chords in the solo?

Beautiful guitar though I, too, would rather hear it w/o effects. Why not post another one un-affected for us all to enjoy?

Good on you for singing. You are an inspiration.

And as for not shaving, to make you feel better I promise to not shave my face in my next video either ;)

Suzi

jayswett

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Great quality video. Is that a webcam?

The song was great, too. I'm seeing more and more Taylors on this website. I played a lovely Martin at my local guitar store yesterday, but still look forward to one day owning a Taylor.

Congrats on great video. You set the bar fairly high for yourself with that one, so I'm curious what video number 2 will be.

BigBear

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Wow, great post. You sound great, and play really nicely. I like the song, and you totally do it justice.

I'm also more partial to the straight acoustic guitar sound, but that's just preference. Really nicely played, dig the instrumental riff, and your voice is very nice.

johnrfeeney

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 pm

excellent! love that song - great job - could you throw the chords on the blog?
again - great work :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic