"For No One" -- a somewhat obscure Beatles song -- first upload

willem

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:31 am

well, i love then the stones more for the bluesy sound,,i know many Beatle fans they were bad,,(no offense taken here), and i'm very happy that i discover the beatles now,,it is realy good music,,hope to learn al the songs,,what we need more.... oh i know the beach boy's...i'm a singer in choir and we did some years a go a medley of them and it was one big PaRtY...LOVE IT ....girls-girls-girls!!!

Yamaha48

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Hello Dennis.

Nice to see you fore the first time .
I can a lot off songs,but this tune sounds new fore me.
Good perforemance Dennis,and i love the Taylor guitar.
nice fingerpicking techniek,i looking fore ward to your nexst
video.

Greet Anton

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Great job, Dennis! Bonus marks for the full body and head shot, EXTRA bonus marks for singing too!!

Your guitar sounds great to me. I actually like the effect.

I noticed you're anchoring your pinky and ring finger. Is that something that you're sticking with? Neil recommends not anchoring- something I forget sometimes as well.

Lastly, technically, I'm really impressed with the video and audio quality. But are you aware that you're only recording onto one audio channel? Let me know if you'd like suggestions on how to change that and record on both channels.

Where is that pesky karma button when I need it??!

mark

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:21 am

Hi Dennis
This is a great song and you did it justice.
I thought your playing was good and clean. No rattling or buzzing strings.

I quite liked the chorus effect but I'd like to hear it clean as well.

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:14 am

Dennis,

If you get a chance, share your thoughts on the Z18 in the Techies Group. There's a discussion on 'What Are You Recording With?'

I'm sure others would like to hear its pros & cons.

temo44

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:28 am

That was great! Thought the song reminded me of...how do you say it in English. It's called 'kermis' in dutch... Maybe Willem knows the word in English. How long did you practice on this song?

dennisg

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:33 am

Temo,

I think the word in English you're looking for is "fair" or "carnival." That's the calliope (pipe organ) effect I mentioned in my original post.

- Dennis

dennisg

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:20 am

Willem: Yeah, a lot of people are discovering the Beatles for the first time. Say what you want about them, but they had a boatload of songs with great melodies. When I was a kid growing up in Southern California, it was all about blazing fast, well- built cars and tan surfer girls. I was more into blazing fast, well-built surfer girls.

Anton: Thanks very much. My next video will be another Beatles song, but an instrumental -- if I can force myself to not sing.

Al: I like the chorus effect, too. For bad or good, I find myself playing everything with it, although I think it doesn't serve "For no one" particularly well. It adds a brightness and cheeriness that makes more sense for the next song I do. I learned when I was 14 years old to anchor my pinky. I've tried it unanchored, but my hand tends to wander all over the place and I can't find the notes. I'm not surprised I'm getting only one audio channel. I'm going from a mono Line Out on the amp to a stereo mic input on the camera. Yes, I'd like to know how to spread it to both channels. Thanks.

Mark: You seem to be in the majority on the effects issue. If I can stomach another session, I'll re-record it.

- Dennis

wrench

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:25 am

Dennis,

I just need to follow up on this one. This video wins today's "I Can't Get It Out Of My Head" award.

Yes, I would like to hear an unplugged version, but I think it would be different, not necessarily better. For now, I have this vid bookmarked.

About my voice. Hmmmm..... interesting that you had throat surgery and now your singing sounds great. I think I do in fact have a lousy voice from a throat injury about 20 years ago that left some scar tissue behind. But you know what? You've inspired me to find out. Today.

Great job again, and I'm looking forward to more of your music. More pizza.

wrench

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:43 am

dennisg wrote:
I'm not surprised I'm getting only one audio channel. I'm going from a mono Line Out on the amp to a stereo mic input on the camera. Yes, I'd like to know how to spread it to both channels. Thanks.

- Dennis
So you're going- Guitar/amp/Z18? Bottom line is that the signal that goes into the Z18 needs to be stereo.

With my setup, I have a mono to stereo mini cable that goes from my guitar directly into my computer. That splits the audio onto both tracks for me. Not sure why it wouldn't work the same for you. Is there a mono/stereo setting in the camera that you need to switch? I'd do some experimenting while going direct from your guitar to your camera while using headphones plugged into the camera. You'll hear it right away and if you've got it right.

Keep us posted..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic