wrench - the loner follow-up

wrench

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Okay, here's a very boring, and somewhat imperfect follow-up to The Loner. I did this mainly as a strumming exercise because my original post wasn't strummed entirely correct as Neil pointed out, and I know some other members are working on this song, and all have mentioned the strumming pattern. I am not trying to pass this off as the pattern Neil (either one of them) used, I'm just saying this pattern is easy to do and seemed to work for educational purposes. The pattern is D-D-U-U-D at 104 bpm, and I used it for the whole song except the intro and the little 12th fret stuff. Gary, the "medication" we discussed to control the tempo worked - that and the metronome pumped directly into my ears.

Here's the funny part. I wanted to post a very high energy version, and in three tries, I have three great sounding videos, all of which contain violations of strumming ethics and fundamentals. So they are now internal training videos. I'm going to go get a new pick and change my strings now.

As always, comments welcome.

Hey Guys,

Neil said this song was fun to play, and man was he right. The hardest part of this video is containing the adrenaline rush.

It's a little rough but I only have thirty minutes on it. Neil Young is just great stuff to play - very high reward for some work.

TG comments are always welcome.

I'll post a followup later when it smooths out some. Enjoy.

wrench

[video type=youtube][/video]

dennisg

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Very good job, wrench. You have a supple right wrist, which is really important in developing a good strumming technique. Aside from more practice, the one thing I would recommend is developing some dynamics on that section where you repeat the same chord for several strums. It feels like it needs to be broken up by alternating hard strums, instead of the same intensity on every stroke. But congrats on a job very well done.

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Good effort for having just 30mins at it man. I love Neil Young songs something about the way he 'attacks' the guitar and gets his unique sound. Look forward to your updated post of this. I agree with Dennis on the emphasis thing NY does that a lot in most of his acoustic versions, just vary it a bit

Neil Young Rocks

good on ya mate some Kar... err Pizza points to ya lol

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Half an hour? It takes me three days to get to that point in any song I try. Some funky looking chords in that song. Nicely done for a half hour of work. Normally, I would add that song to my list, but given the Pink Floyd songs that came out today, that song will have to wait a while.

Yamaha48

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:13 pm

Hello Wrench.

Thise sounds verry good man,and that in a time of 30 min.
Nice sound from the guitar,i hope fore a update of this tune.
You have a good strumming techniek,i love it Wrench.

Greet from the Netherlands Anton

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Great to see another vid from you, Wrench!!

I haven't had a chance to see Neil's lesson on this yet, but am about to check it out- love the tune.

Advice? I'd check your strumming. You seem to start and stop depending on where you are in the song instead of keeping a steady up/down motion.

Easier said than done?
I'll let you know after I try it myself..

**Edit- I tried it last night. REALLY fun to play. Even tried singing along (not for the faint of heart) :blink:

Looking forward to your next video update on this.

**Further edit- the strumming pattern is NOT easy for me to get down.

tovo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:37 pm

The videos for review are flying thick and fast right now! Great result for such a short period Wrench. I agree with your comment on the value you get from Neil Young. Enjoyed it, look forward to the update.

suziko

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Again- 30 minutes? Wow!! Someday I'll be there ;)

I, too, was hoping to take a look at this song in the next few weeks. It looks really cool and fun to play. Now with all the Pink Floyd stuff, not sure I'll get to it too soon.

I love the idea of posting several videos of songs in various states of progress. Can't wait to see where you're at with this in a week.

Suzi

BigBear

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Kevin- Yoda has spoken so there isn't much I can say except amazing job for 30 minutes! Are you kidding me? Can't wait to hear the polished version. Neil's advice, as always, was really helpful for me.

Great job my friend!

Cheers! :cheer:

wrench

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys, and especially to you, Neil.

Between Neil's advice to fix some of the strumming pattern, and addressing Al's observations with some metronome work, I expect to produce a decent follow up soon.

And after I nail this song, I'll get back to work on some of the level 2 songs I've been working on for 3 months!

Thanks,
wrench

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic