G chord drama

temo44

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Well I'm still kinda crappy with the strumming, especially with the g chord. So this is supposed to be the Who'll stop the rain? beginners lesson song, but I went from G to D (whoops) instead of C to D. I actually wanted to show you my G chord, but I don't think it's quite visible. All in all I'm not happy with this vid.

Here it is after 3 days of practice:

ps: Still shy about posting a vid though..

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Good job Temo, not to bad after 3 days and using the metronome great stuff. From the angle the G looked ok to me using Neils version with the 4th finger is a good habit to start with, I used to always use my third so hard to break the habit.

tovo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Stumming doesn't look or sound bad to me mate. Keep working on it and don't be shy to post a video, you won't get anything but support and good advice.

Music Junkie

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Temo:

Looks pretty darn good for what short amount of time you have into it. Like Chas said, it is good that you are using Neil's fingering right away. I too fingered it differently and am having a hard time breaking that habit. Also, like Tovo said, you'll get nothing but support here, so post on!

MJ

wrench

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Temo,

Playing a song is the end result of chord changes, strumming patterns and timing. By learning these elements first, you can also apply these skills to other songs.

So what does all this have to do with the song you're working on? Well, don't work on the song, work on chord changes, strumming pattern, and timing. But use the song to do your work. After you practice those skills, then work on the song, and it will come to you quickly.

Make sure you work on the Beginner Lessons because they cover all this basic stuff in there, and don't take this stuff for granted - they are both knowledge and skill, and it takes time and practice to build the skills.

I recommend you do squeeze and lift drills on the chord changes, identify and practice the strum pattern, and set the metronome slow enough to allow you to do those things.

Very good on ya for using the G chord correctly right from the start. It is more difficult, but you will see the advantages soon. Very good on ya for using the metronome, but use it, don't race it. And very good on ya for posting your videos. The more the better.

wrench

BobR

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Temo,

For three days practice not bad. Like everyone says, use Neils correct chord finger position from the start. It's very hard to break bad or old habits. Keep the videos coming.

Bob

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Sounded great. Strumming was smooth, although you got a little ahead of yourself relative to the metronome. Nice correction on that. Overall, a very solid video. Keep it up. By the time you are twenty, you will be an incredible guitarist. You have what most of us don't, and that would be youth.

willem

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:11 am

Hallo Timo,,drama?? now way.....great songs to learn(CCR)you are an your way..WRENCHgives you a good support how to practise,,go on a kind of pump your chords you get a development on your muscle,,put the metronoom on the slowest you can handle,,practice alway's with a slow tempo,, and then after a while speed it up,,,well have that said i realise i have many bad habbits and is hard to lose them,,,you can develop good habbits,,be patiens and you gonna be a star!!!cheeeesee

temo44

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for your quick replies! I thought it kinda sounds shitty. And Jayswett was right. I was too obsessed by trying to get the G right, that I went too fast in the beginning. I actually thought that the metronome was crap when I saw Neil use it the first time, but I kinda like it now. It's the bleep that keeps you on track :-).

@Wrench Darn I like your reply, thank you m8. During the beginners lessons I was wondering what I was exactly learning, chords or a song. You confirmed my suspicion, thanks. Also thank for all your tips! I'll use them wisely ;)

edit: ow, and how is the G chord actually an advantage when you use your 2nd third and fourth? I don't actually see it rigtht nog, but I got this learned from the beginnen, so I guess it's lucky me :)

wrench

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:27 am

temo44 wrote:
Thanks for your quick replies! I thought it kinda sounds shitty. And Jayswett was right. I was too obsessed by trying to get the G right, that I went too fast in the beginning. I actually thought that the metronome was crap when I saw Neil use it the first time, but I kinda like it now. It's the bleep that keeps you on track :-).

@Wrench Darn I like your reply, thank you m8. During the beginners lessons I was wondering what I was exactly learning, chords or a song. You confirmed my suspicion, thanks. Also thank for all your tips! I'll use them wisely ;)

edit: ow, and how is the G chord actually an advantage when you use your 2nd third and fourth? I don't actually see it rigtht nog, but I got this learned from the beginnen, so I guess it's lucky me :)
Hi Temo,

Neil discusses "economy of motion" when he talks about chord changes in the Beginner Lessons. What he means is fingering chords in a way that requires the minimum amount of finger movement to get to the next chord. For example, a common chord change is G to C. Compare the finger motion required to make that change with both G's, and I think you will find Neil's G more efficient.

Another reason is to make fingers more available to make melody notes when you play solo tunes.

Neil recommends several alternate fingerings, but I think the most common are the G, A, and Dm.

I know that chord drills and music don't seem very interesting when you want to play songs, but I, and many other TG members can tell you that once you achieve your first well-played song, the next thousand songs will come very, very quickly. I'm betting you have a hundred songs in your repertoire by spring.

wrench

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic