She Talks to Angels

Chasplaya

Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:35 pm

jayswett wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
How many hours did you work on that?? Tons, I bet. The intro sounds a little different than the original version.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I probably have 8-10 hours invested in that song at this point. .
I wouldn't be embarrassed after that amount of time. Great job on this.

Good on ya mate, pizza points coming your way with added peperoni!

jayswett

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm

jayswett wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
How many hours did you work on that?? Tons, I bet. The intro sounds a little different than the original version.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I probably have 8-10 hours invested in that song at this point. I started learning it not long after your video post. As for the intro, I missed a couple of notes, which explains why it doesn't sound quite like the orginal. i don't think I've played that intro cleanly yet in all the times that I've practiced it.
Al, you were right, it turns out the intro sounds different because I was playing it incorrectly. I'll work on that. The 8-10 hours comment was meant to indicate that it took me a long time to learn it. Nothing to be embarrassed about, I agree, but I'd like to be able to pick up songs more quickly. That will come, I know. Thanks for all the comments.

suziko

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Wow, Jay, so well done. I'm always impressed with your videos, though, so this is nothing new. The audio quality of the video is stellar; I'd like to get such good quality, but since I can't plug my guitar into anything I don't think that's going to happen. Though getting an external mic could help.

Between you and Al, I'm thinking at some point I'd like to learn this song. Maybe Neil will make it a Target song!

Suzi

nemastetaylor

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:28 am

That sounds awesome. the sound quality is very good. Plus your timing is good. What tuning are you using?? I use to play it in a different tuning with the capo on 2. I haven't played it in a while. I may have to redo it.
good job. :)

Nemaste

jayswett

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:32 am

Suzi,
I wouldn't change much, if anything, with your vids. Your Taylor sounds perfect to my ear.

Nemaste,
I played that with open E tuning. As I was working on it, though, over the last two months, I had one of my guitars chronically tuned to open D, and placed a capo at the second fret (which then made it open E). The reason for doing it this way was that you should not keep a guitar tuned to open E for a prolonged period of time since the extra tension on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th strings can damage the guitar. If you tune to open D instead, you won't have this problem since you are loosening the tension on 1st, 2nd and 6th strings and leaving the other strings as is.

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:44 am

Jay! Great job! I have always liked that song. I dug it when Al posted his version too. 8-10 is not a long time in my opinion and you did a great job. I would be proud my friend, not embarrassed! Darn fine job.

Glad you got your vid figured out. It was a little on the slow side from the video stand point, but the sound was just fine. The important part is you played it very well!

Cheers to you!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic