She Talks to Angels

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Here's my first effort of She Talks to Angels, which is a Black Crowes song which Al first posted a couple of months ago. Thanks to him for helping me out with this. Very manageable from a guitar playing standpoint, but impossible to sing. Also, thanks to everyone who helped me convert my moviemaker file to a wmv file.

This version includes the intro, 1st verse, chorus, interlude, part of the 2nd verse, and finally the chorus again with the outro. The video is of terrible quality, but I'm told by my wife that my kids are arranging for Santa to bring me a much higher quality webcam for Christmas. Can't wait. The audio is better, though, than previous videos I've posted. Thanks for watching.

haoli25

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:47 pm

BRAVO!!!! Great job Jay...you nailed it! I loved the 'over the top' barre chords! :laugh:

Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

wrench

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Just downright enjoyable to listen to Jay.

Goin' with Bill on this one - you nailed it. Pizza point to you.

wrench

AndyT

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Sounded really good! Bet you can hardly wait for Santa to bring you a real camera!

Lavallee

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Jay, this is has to be my next song, it really looks fun to play. You and Al have created this build up now and I am convinced. I really like your timing, with the ghost strumming to keep the beat. Your picking is also very clean. Your guitar sounds really prefessionnal.

Great job

Marc

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Well there it is, Jay! Excellent! How many hours did you work on that?? Tons, I bet. As I'm sure you found out, it's not an easy song- especially the intro picking.

The intro sounds a little different than the original version. That might just be your take on it, which is cool too.

Congrats on a great version.

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Hey Jay,

That's one of my favorites...you did a superb job with it! Nancy

MarkM

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Jay that was FREAKING fantastic!!! Loved it!! OK I was working on some Neil Young stuff but I'm going to put that aside and learn this over the Christmas Holiday. Always wanted to learn this but never got around to it. I must say the audio came out wonderful. What guitar are you using there. Sounded really good. I couldn't tell if it was plugged in or if that was just the mike picking it up. If you get a chance can you post a link to the TAB and Chords. What tuning was that in. I know I'm rambling and asking a bunch of questions but that performance really got me going. Thanks for the post.

MarkM

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:35 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
How many hours did you work on that?? Tons, I bet. The intro sounds a little different than the original version.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I probably have 8-10 hours invested in that song at this point. I started learning it not long after your video post. As for the intro, I missed a couple of notes, which explains why it doesn't sound quite like the orginal. i don't think I've played that intro cleanly yet in all the times that I've practiced it.

Posting this video satisfied a long term goal of mine. Now it's time to get back to the Landslide solo and Never Going Back Again.

jayswett

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 pm

MarkM wrote:
I must say the audio came out wonderful. What guitar are you using there. Sounded really good. I couldn't tell if it was plugged in or if that was just the mike picking it up. If you get a chance can you post a link to the TAB and Chords. What tuning was that in.
MarkM
Glad you like it. To address a couple of your questions, the guitar I am playing is a fairly inexpensive Alvarez. It has a cutaway, for what that's worth, but it also has an electrical pickup. The guitar is plugged directly into my computer through the "line in" port. No amplifier at all. Just plugged directly into the computer as I said. The cord I am using to make that connection is a 1/4" plug to a 1/8" plug. The audio was recorded into Audacity, then imported into Windows Moviemaker, and synchronized with the video component, which was also imported into Windows Moviemaker. Very easy to do, even for me, who knows very little about computers.

By the way, I learned how to do all of this from my fellow students on TG, and I mention that to illustrate the point that the technical know-how on this site is a great asset for all of us.

Regarding the tab, I will send you a link on your PM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic