Black Mountain Side by Marc, alternate tuning

michelew

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:54 am

Marc,

Another great post. Such an unusual sound - I really liked it. It sure looks hard.

Thanks

M

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:40 am

That was really enjoyable, Marc! Seemed very clean and tight. I also really like the sound of your yamaha.

It's great seeing songs that aren't listed on TG as well. Shows we can apply what we learn to other songs..

willem

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:44 am

Marc, i think this is growing out of my hat,,but i was enjoying to see your playing,, i think your very a pro...thanks..

Lavallee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 am

michelew wrote:
Marc,

Another great post. Such an unusual sound - I really liked it. It sure looks hard.

Thanks

M
Thanks Michele, this is exactly why I have always like this song: the different sound of this alternate tuning.

As far as looking hard, it migth be easier for some people but it is not for me. I have learned one note at the time, but I have not seen this as impossible because it took a long time. It is important to have long term projects, to choose songs that are above our heads. Of course you must really like the song to keep the interest alive.

I would work on it for a couple months and then give up for a litlle while becasue I would not improve or because I was stuck. Then I would come back and thanks to the magic of the muscle memory, I could go through that blockage as it became a little easier to play what I had difficulty with and I got motivated again.

Learning more challenging songs has another benefit: the hard work you put in it benefit from learning the easier songs. So this is why I think it is important to have at least one long term project.

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:14 am

AcousticAl wrote:
That was really enjoyable, Marc! Seemed very clean and tight. I also really like the sound of your yamaha.

It's great seeing songs that aren't listed on TG as well. Shows we can apply what we learn to other songs..
Thanks Al, you are right about applying what we learn here to other songs. Neil has mentioned a couple times in his lessons to alternate fingers when hitting the same string. This made a big difference with that song. I could not reach the speed needed for some sections, when I finally paid attention (meaning understanding the benefit)to what Neil was saying, I realized how true and benficial his advices are . Now when I look at his lessons (whether this is a song I want to work on or not), I pay attention to those tips to transfer them in my general playing.

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:19 am

willem wrote:
Marc, i think this is growing out of my hat,,but i was enjoying to see your playing,, i think your very a pro...thanks..
Thanks Willem, as I was discussing with Michelle, a song that you want to learn is always at your reach (eventually).

Here is the phrase I took from below your avatar: You can get it if you realLy want..... :)

Marc

willem

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 am

Lavallee wrote:
willem wrote:
Thanks Willem, as I was discussing with Michele, a song that you want to learn as always at reach (eventually).

Here is the phrase I took from below your avatar: You can get it if you realLy want..... :)

Marc
very true,,thats my point the get somewhere,, i think(because it is a titlle from a song),,that i make in 2010 a video about that,,but it is very simple,,the challenge was a strumming phrase over two measers and one barre...C#m

jayswett

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:01 pm

michelew wrote:
Marc,

It sure looks hard.

M
I agree.

Yamaha48

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello Marc.

Thanks fore the hard worke you have,on this nice tune.
I love the way you ferform this.
This is the first time i heare this tune.
Fore me a hard song to play.

Thank thanks fore this Marc.

Greet Anton Happy hollyday.

michelew

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks for the reminder about the long-term project. I love you attitude and will start something this holiday season. Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic