Black Mountain Side by Marc, alternate tuning

Lavallee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

yamaha48 wrote:
Hello Marc.

Thanks fore the hard worke you have,on this nice tune.
I love the way you ferform this.
This is the first time i heare this tune.
Fore me a hard song to play.

Thank thanks fore this Marc.

Greet Anton Happy hollyday.
Thank you very much Anton, Happy Holidays to you too

Marc

mark

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:13 am

Lavallee wrote:
Neil has mentioned a couple times in his lessons to alternate fingers when hitting the same string. This made a big difference with that song. I could not reach the speed needed for some sections, when I finally paid attention (meaning understanding the benefit)to what Neil was saying, I realized how true and benficial his advices are . Now when I look at his lessons (whether this is a song I want to work on or not), I pay attention to those tips to transfer them in my general playing.

Marc
I think this hits the nail right on the head.
Totally guitars doesn't just provide a play by numbers approach.
The tips and tricks can be taken and applied to any song.

beaker

Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:08 am

Marc, Love that song! great job! Definitely an ambitious one to work on, you have it pretty dialled, just need to smooth out one or 2 small sections, where the tempo goes off a touch because you aren't quite able to keep pace with the difficult sections. Like I say great job! those little (minor) tough sections will get better soon, just keep playing it. Beeker.

It is impressive!

Lavallee

Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks Beaker, you are right , I am still struggling in some sections and still working on it, but this ok as I am struggling with other songs as well :) . I know what to do but, sometimes, my fingers forget. This is the purpose of these videos: make sure that what you think you are playing is what it sounds to the others.

I remember Neil mentionning about a song he wanted to present at his concert with Keola. The song looked quite complicated and he had not played it for a while. He was struggling a bit but he said that he played so many times before that it would come back. Once I will have played it enough, it should be better.

Marc

suziko

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:10 am

Marc,

Sorry it took me so long to get to this! What a cool song. I recognized it (used to listen to a lot of LZ 20 years ago), but haven't heard it in forever. I'm very impressed. Like others have said already, the song sounds so cool with the alternate tuning, and it's neat to see how much movement up and down the neck you have in this song, but you seem perfectly in control and comfortable. Very inspiring. I'd like to be at that point some day.

I also really liked your idea of finding a song that's over your head and using it as a long-term project. I think I'm going to steal that idea for this coming year. 2010 is going to be a great guitar-playing year!

Thanks for posting. I always very much enjoy your videos. Suzi

haoli25

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:47 am

WOW Marc! Very impressive! Bravo. I would have commented sooner, but I guess this one went under my radar...I missed it. I am glad I found it now. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

Lavallee

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:14 am

Suzi, thank you for the nice comments, the sound is different and this is what gives the nice feeling about it. I am glad you are considering a long term project (these were Neil's words that I am paraphrasing from one of his TG lIve session). Just make sure that you really like this song as on the long run it is like being in a couple, there are a lot of emotions that will show up in the process.

Bill, thank you for the comments, I am sorry if I replied late as well. I must have opened it without noticing that people had commented. Thanks for the hands

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic