Scarborough Fair by Michele

BigBear

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Michele- that was great! Paul Simon would be proud! Now you just have to sing the song while you play it! lol! I know, easier said than done!! Where's Art Garfunkel when you need him?

You did a wonderful job keeping the rhythm steady. That's the key to that song!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your hard-earned progress!

Cheers! :cheer:

beaker

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Michelle, I think your playing is excellent. nice job! BEaker.

michelew

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:46 pm

Wow - you guys are the best! Thank you all. By the way I'm glad some of you said nice morning music and not 'nice lift music".

Anton and Wilem - thanks - the chair I've been using at my computer pushes the guitar up a bit into classic position and I figured I'd just go with it - it does make difficult parts easier to play. I may be getting a pre-loved 1970's classical Yamaha from a friendly santa - so the classical position should suit that better.

Reiver - thanks - yes - I think I've relaxed a little - still a long way to go...

Al - thanks - I promise to work out the sound level before the next post (need to do some iMovie tutorials). I played a little when I was a young teenager (mostly simple chords), nothing for 30 years and then I picked up the guitar this April determined to learn how to play it properly. This site and this community is absolutely helping me to achieve that goal.

Jay - thanks - regarding the videos - I absolutely agree with you. I love all the things that TG offers and Neil is a guru. But, I really love seeing everyone's videos and seeing their improvement (including progress learning a single song) it gives me something to aspire to, gives me new songs to try and shows me how much you can progress with practice, patience and persistence. The music notation doesn't have an outro - but I'll check out the lesson again. I do hope to get to singing - I should have added that to my 2010 goals.

Nancy and John - thanks - you're welcome and thanks for getting my morning off to a nice start too (that you to everyone else this morning too).

Wrench - thanks - I tried a thumb pick but they make my brain hurt and feel soooooo strange - I have a couple that I've altered the length on but they just feel funny. I'm not sure that I'll ever get used to them. (I've now got a millimetre of nail and am hoping it will grow back quickly).

MarkM - thanks - I've gone with the 'fake it 'til you make it' approach - so while I didn't feel like I was in control, I'm glad it looked as if I was.

Dennis - thanks - it is a beautiful song. And you cracked me up over the Miss AUstralia comments - by god wouldn't that be shocking to everyone involved...

Bear - Thank you - just singing, yet alone singing as angelicly as Art is likely to be an extra big challenge. At one point the vamp started to sound really strange (have you ever said the same word over and over again until you've not sure that its the word you mean - very strange)

Beaker - thanks - 'excellent' hmmm - I'll take it ..... or as Dennis (or his alter-ego) would say - "exxxxccccellent" - but maybe not as creepy as his alter ego.

temo44

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi Michele!

That was really beautiful! I didn't see you shaking though... Perfect you were shaking internally... You really have nothing to be shaky about.. I adore the way you nailed that song :) (is that a nice expression in english? :laugh: )

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Well done girl! Volume at my end was good enough, even further away than Espana nd Chris. In fact hauntingly beautiful... and you don't look so bad either lol especially the wee smile at the end (of relief?)

I guess your right about the thumb nail thing, means you will need to have a re-run next year.

Good on ya mate.

Xmas mince pies to you (being seasonal etc etc)

BobR

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Michele, good job. I didn't notice any nervousness. You looked fine and I thought you played it very well.

Keep it up ! :cheer:
Bob

mmmbldo

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Really no need to be shaking, Michele. You did a very good job on this as you have on other songs. You are becoming a solid, in control player, even if you don't feel that way. Once you feel more relaxed, you will be a really smooth performer.

michelew

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Thanks guys!

Temo - I nailed the song ay - woo hoo! - the smile at the end was finally getting a take that I was happy with. You're right 'nailed it' is a good expression. I'm expecting to see great things from you in 2010 Temo, if your progress to date is any indication of what you're capable of.

Chas - thanks mate! Mince pies - yum (I presume they are those lovely gluten free ones made of almond meal) - mmmm yum! When will the great unveiling ceremony be for your 1st performance? Do we need to book tickets? .... I suspect that you might be a little bit of a perfectionist....

Bob - thanks - it is getting a little easier.

mmmmbldo - the shaking is involuntary - but thanks - if I could will it away I would - smooth and relaxed bring it on!

jayswett

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:14 am

I love that song. You win the TG award for best hand position. Nice angle to your right hand, and once again, I didn't see your thumb for the entire performance.

suziko

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:26 am

Michele,

I have no advice to add. This was so beautiful, really such a pleasure to listen to. I recently started a "Songs to Learn 2010" list (inspired by Bill's guitar goal thread), and immediately whipped it out and wrote down this song. I know I'll be referencing your video while I'm learning it to see how you did it.

Great job, Michele! And I thought you looked quite relaxed and oh-so-sweet at the end.

Cheers! Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic