Laat me From Ramses Shaffie

AndyT

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Cosmic,
You translation points out the problems with translating songs into different languages. Because of syntactical and grammatical structure, you can have an exact word for word translation and get a totally new meaning to it.

The way this is overcome is a multistep process.

1. First translation into new language.
2. Different person translates back into original language.
3. Conceptual errors are found and corrected.
4. go back to step 1.

After going through this process 3 or 4 times, you get a translation that matches the intent and meaning of the original. That's a bit more work than most people want to put into translating a song.

The quickie translation I gave on the first page was a step 1. That's as far as I took it. Timo's was a better version because he actually speaks the languages involved.

cosmicmechanic

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Hey Andy

I translated directly from the french original version.
French is my mother tongue, so that is not the reason for the discrepancy.

The enigma is not resolved !

AndyT

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Who translated it from French to Dutch?

cosmicmechanic

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:54 pm

I dunno, but I've googled Dutch versions of "Laat Me" that also have the accompanying French lyrics, side by side. Those are the lyrics I translated.

Gotta admit there's a world of difference between the versions we've put up so far.

Help ! Who can put his foot down here? Willem ! Yamaha ! ??

Maybe the version Yamaha sung was quite different from the original ?

If Temo's verion is OK, then Yamaha's version certainly couldn't have been what appears when googling Ramses Saffie's "Laat Me".

MarkM

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Anton,

Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyed the performance.

MarkM

reiver

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:51 pm

I would think that the differences in the translations most likely came about when converting the original lyrics, in whatever language they were written, into lyrics in a different language. As lyrics have to scan musically and often rhyme, direct translation do not work, therefore some artistic licence is taken. I'm sure that you have both translated the lyrics correctly, but the lyrics were already changed.

r

cosmicmechanic

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Most importantly: Yamaha ... this is a GREAT interpretation ... sincerely, you succeeded in getting it vibrating across the internet, and that got me interested in really understanding the meaning of the song.

Less importantly (the rest of this post):

I don't want to beat this subject to death (the absolute best translation), but to my knowledge this is the first time on the TG site we have some measure of the difficulty in understanding what we think is a common point of reference: a song title in a foreign language and whatever research we then do about it.

About automatic translations:
Frankly, those who speak more than one language regard automatic translations done on the web as a parlor game and the results generate much hilarity. To be fair, these translations are sometimes useful on specific words or some snippets of sentences.

About real translations:
Since the difference between Temo's translation (version?) and my personal translation (original french version) make them completely different songs, I would still LOVE to be sure what you were singing Yamaha.

No offense meant to you Temo: If you are actually translating Yamaha's words sung in your own language (Dutch) into English, then that's it for this version...ish.

Grand finale: Here's Ramses Shaffie in a modern version of "Laat Me" (he passed away recently)

http://www.123video.nl/playvideos.asp?M ... ame=Rijk14

temo44

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 am

Ho ho I don't feel offended here :-) . But there is no misunderstanding in the translation here on my part. I did an english study at the university of Maastricht(economics), so I think I know how to translate. The only thing that could be wrong is the dutch lyrics on the site.
Or maybe french version differs from(and that can be confirmed when you look at cosmics version) the dutch song.

also I think that Anton's lyrics were a little off. Haven't checked that or anything..

btw Anton just send me songs you want to have translated. No problem at all :-) .

p.s thanks for the alfred jodokus kwak nummer :lol:

Yamaha48

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:39 am

Hello Suzi.

Thanks fore the compliments you write.
I can the band klein orkest,Harrie Jekkers.
Thanks fore the video from vladimir.
Warm greet Anton

Yamaha48

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:01 am

Hello my best guitar friends.
When i start this toppic,i write that there is a france version vivre.
The version i song in the Dutch from Ramses shaffie.
I have seen the version Vivre,together with Ramses shaffie and his girl friend Liesbet List.

Listen to this nice tune.
Maby can Willem tell us more,he is a big fan from Ramses Shaffy.
I think that Ramses whas the writer in Dutch.

Gr Anton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic