'The Loner' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am

Here's where I'm at with 'The Loner'. I posted a different thread on 'Strumming Too Much', that I think applies to how I play this song.

In a nutshell, I think I add too much extra strumming to a song-- to the point where there's no discernible pattern. With this video, I actually changed the strum pattern completely (not necessarly a good thing). I went B/B - D/D/U a lot.

I think this is why I have a hard time singing while I strum. I add too much- trying to fill every gap, and I've got too much going on to even think about singing!

Let me know your thoughts.

Al

dennisg

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am

I thought the first half of the song was very cohesive: you had a steady two beats on the bass strings, then two beats on the treble. You changed the pattern on the chorus, but I thought that was totally appropriate. The song kind of broke down for me about half way through. I wouldn't say that you changed the strumming pattern there; it's more accurate to say that there was no discernible pattern. At that point it had a kind of noodling effect.

- Dennis

Catman

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:15 am

Hey Al!

I agree that you are overdoing it a bit on filling in the strumming. But I also think that the strumming pattern should have some variation. An unchanging robotic pattern becomes boring very quickly.

The more you add other elements to the playing (vocals, other instruments, etc.), the less you need to fill in and vary the strumming. A single guitar accompaniment to a vocal will need to supply some interest. A rhythm guitar in a band will need to do much less; indeed too much will make the sound very "busy"

Good subject.

David

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks David and Dennis.

I agree with you about the 1/2 way point. It does seem a mess after that. I think I'll try to post another version where I stick to Neil's (and Neil's) version as much as possible and see how that goes.

wrench

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:27 am

Al,

Don't ignore what you did right - the continuity of your right hand motion was pretty good. I think you needed more string contact and a little more energy. So my answer to your question "am I strumming too much?" is no. I think this is one of those Neil Young songs that is better beaten (but in good rhythm) on a guitar rather than played. It's Neil Young - not Mozart.

My strumming on the intro of this song was a train wreck, but I thought the more firmly strummed parts sounded a little better. I have no camera available today, but I will attempt to record a take on Audacity. Between the two of us I think we'll make Neil proud.

wrench

willem

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Al i'm looking forwards to the Neil-Al-Neils version...

I can't say much about your overdoing,,,well we have a measer that counts 4 beats,, all downs are quarter notes all the ups are eights,, when you do fills what do we have then,,,learn first the slow right way then go improvising... i think when you had used the metronoom(i can't)than it was much diffrent but in the right way,,,when you wanna sing a song must the strumming be easy,,or fingerpicking a eight note picking,,there you can easy past the syllables of the words..

I did not know the ''loner'' what i have seen by NY that whas a electric heavy played song.

waiting..................

BobR

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Al,

Sounds good to me. A work in progress. I will look at Neil H's version again and check the strumming.

Bob

jayswett

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:26 pm

This song is a challenge to play, I think. I perused the lesson a few weeks ago, and simply couldn't make it sound quite right, so I quickly abandoned it, intending to come back to fight another day. It seems to me that you are definitely on the right track with this, especially with the beginning. I had a hard time folowing the latter part of the song, but I think that was mostly due to my lack of knowledge regarding the song's structure. Yes, there is some work to be done on it, but overall, it sounds good.

Lavallee

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Al, just curious to know: Is the song playing loud in the headphones? I feel that some of the strumming is somewhat weak in some section as you are trying to keep up with the song. This migth also explain some over strumming. You are doing very well at your strumming in the high strings only for the D chords and all the strings for the G type chords.

Marc

beaker

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Decent job Al!, It will get better though, with time and practice it will come together, You are most definitely on the right track. I agree with most of the other comments, I especially think Dennis is right on. I wouldn't worry too much just play it!
Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic