Un Flambeau, Janette, Isabella- Suziko

suziko

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:59 pm

About a week ago I was looking at a Christmas carol I learned in high school French class called, "Un Flambeau, Janette, Isabella" and wishing I could play it on the guitar. I had the melody, but no accompanying harmony. After looking at it for a bit, I realized just how similar it is to "What Child is This?" (probably not all that surprising, since they were both written some time around the 16th century). So I sat down and put together this very simple arrangement for it, based on what I'd learned from Neil's arrangement of "What Child is This?" It was kind of a break-through moment for me, the first time I was able to take something I'd learned in one song and use it to create something new for a different song.

This version is far from perfect- there are some vibrating strings and notes cut short. But it captures what I was able to put together, thanks to what I've learned from TG.

As always, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

And a different version, for those of you who are not familiar with the song:

The lyrics (1 verse only) in the original French and in English, for the non-francophones:

Un flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle
Un flambeau, courons au berceau!
C'est Jésus, bonnes gens du hameau,
Le Christ est né, Marie appelle,
Ah! Ah! Ah! Que la mère est belle,
Ah! Ah! Ah! Que l'enfant est beau!

Bring a torch, Jeanette, Isabella!
Bring a torch, come swiftly and run!
Christ is born. Tell the folk of the village
Jesus is born and Mary's calling.
Ah! Ah! beautiful is the Mother!
Ah! Ah! beautiful is her son!

tovo

Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Nice work Suzi. The song seems familiar to me...not surprising really that I may have heard an arrangement of this tune before given it's history.

Anyway, it's nice. Would be good for you to keep working on it and post an update in future as my only point is I would have liked to hear more.

Good job. Thanks for posting it.

willem

Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Many look a/likes,,and good try Suzan..

no pizza,no stroopwaffel,,,but Image

jayswett

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Very beautiful song, and you played it very nicely. That classical position suits you. Congrats to you for applying what you've learned to this project. I still need to have things more less spoon fed to me. In 2010, I'd like to learn to do more of what you just did, and also learn to read TAB well.
Great job on this lovely song.

michelew

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Beautiful song Suzi and a fabulous start and very baroque cool B) . I too would like to hear more and a progress video. Good job adapting the bass from Greensleeves. It works well. I also need to adapt the things I've learned to other projects. THere you go again, being an insiration.... :)

suziko

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Tony- Thank you. I definitely consider this song an "in progress" song. I wanted to post a video of it because I'd mentioned to Jay and Reiver that I'd figured out a very simple arrangement for this song based on "Greensleeves." Because of the craziness that descended this week on my life, I hadn't picked up my guitar in several days, so this version is very rough. But I hated to put it off much past the holidays; plus, I'm already wanting to start on "Guaranteed" thanks to Jay's video.

Willem- giving someone a torch is totally the new karma! Thank you!

Jay- it's rough, but it's there. I was just so proud of myself for figuring out an arrangement for a song. I probably drove my husband crazy saying things like, "Isn't this cool? I did this all by myself! Can you believe it???" I know it's very simple, but I'm still proud.

suziko

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Michele,

Again, thank you! I think, like you, I'm really drawn to that baroque/renaissance sound. I think I need to check out those Fredrick Noad books you mentioned in your "guitar goals" post. Like I said above, it's a simple arrangement (and a bit roughly done, thanks to being out of practice due to holidays/sickness), but there it is.

reiver

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Suzi

I had to go back to watch What Child is This before I wrote this because I think you're under valuing your achievement in completing this arrangement. The songs may be of a certain era, but they are very different melodies and I reckon this is a big step in progressing as a musician. Very well done.
On a technical note, I would say that you were a bit tentative with the bass notes - they didn't ring out as much as they did on WCIT, but that will come as you get more confident in your playing. I think that the year is definitely ending on a high for you.

r

suziko

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Reiver- Thank you. I do have a tendency to "undervalue my achievement," so it's possible you're right :)

You're definitely right about the bass notes. I noticed in particular rewatching the video. A lot of times you can barely hear them. I probably could/should have put more practice into this before posting it, but just wanted to get it up to show you guys so that I could move on to something different. Impatience is another one of my faults ;)

Lavallee

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Suzi, that was very nice.You took the song very quickly and made it a a nice presentation.

I also noticed the base line being more faint the the high pitch notes. As I look to your other videos, I was wondering if you would not benefit from a thumb pick. Unless it is a perspective in the video, your thumb is quitte parallell to the string having the flesh hitting the fat strings while your high pitched strings ar hitted with your nail (either the nail or the fact that you fingers pull). If you look at Neil's hand when he fingerpicks, his thumb point more toward the strings, having the nail hitting the string.

Thank you for the French translation.

Beau travail (Nice work)
Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic