Un Flambeau, Janette, Isabella- Suziko

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Well done, Suzi! I think it's a huge step to be able to use what you've learned from one song as a building block to help you play another song.

(and who knew Willem carried a torch for you?)

michelew

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Suzi,

Great to hear that I've got a compatriot in you in the love of the Baroque/Renaissance sound too. Just a word of warning on the Fredrick Noad books - they're written in standard music notation only (no tab). It's is another goal of mine (as you would have read) to improve my music notation reading so this I figure is a way of killing 2 birds with one stone. I haven't started learning them yet, but expect them to be both lovely and challenging. I'm waiting until I have a bit of space and the house to myself to concentrate as I imagine that is what will be needed for me to get them under my belt. However, having said that from what I have seen so far and from what Neil said they do appear to be graduated and appear to start with the more straightforward songs. I just didn't want you to purchase the book(s) and be disappointed with the lack of tab.

But, having seen your Greensleeves and this latest song you're a natural with fingerpicking and are likely to nail them in a relatively short time.

Let me know if you do get the books - it would be great to compare notes, especially on the bits I get stuck on and need a different view about.

Talk to you soon. BTW - I love the latest offering. Have I said that already?...

temo44

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi Suzi,

I liked your arrangment of 'Bring a Torch' very much. It's really inspiring to see people applying the tools and skills learned here at TG to other songs, even to the point of arranging them. That's amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Megan

suziko

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:40 am

Marc- Thanks for the advice regarding the thumb pick. I should check that out. I could also try rotating my hand more so that my thumb nail is making more contact with the string. I know my picking technique could probably use some refining; I need to watch more of Neil's videos on fingerpicking. Glad you liked the song! It's originally in French, so the translation was really the english one.

Al- Thanks! Yeah, I was very excited about it. Like I said, I could have executed it better, but my point was really just to show you guys "here's what I did."

Michele- I checked out the books on Amazon and read in one of the comments that they're only in standard notation. I can (very slowly) read standard notation from having played piano. Reiver also mentioned on my wall that if you have Guitar Pro you could put the music into Guitar Pro and have it translated into TAB, if you wanted. I will definitely let you know if I get the books. I do love fingerpicking and plan to focus much more time on improving my technique/speed this year. Thanks again for your encouraging words!

Missy_megs- First of all, welcome to TG! I hope you're enjoying it here and finding everything you need. Don't hesitate to ask any of us if you need help. Thanks for your kind words. Joining TG this last year was the best thing I could have done to improve my guitar playing. I hope to see something posted from you in the future!

best wishes to you all, Suzi

haoli25

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:15 am

Beautiful Suzi. You did a great job and thank you for reminding of that wonderful song...I haven't heard it in many years. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

suziko

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks, Bill! It's always nice to get the clapping hands :)

haoli25

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:42 am

The applause are earned. I last heard this song about 10 years ago on a French radio station in Nice. They played it often for the holiday season. It has such a great melody. :)

Bill

johnrfeeney

Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:36 pm

somebody is becoming quite the guitarist! well done

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Suzi, I'm not going to comment on technique or anything but just to say Wow!! I believe once Neil sees this he will be so proud of you, being able to use what you've learnt and apply it to another song and have the confidence to post it. Surely this is what the site is all about! And its not about the number of vids posted but its about the change in ability and capability.

This is the first in my opinion to show a direct transfer of skills learnt here on TG to another tune.

Well done!

regards

Chas

suziko

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Bill- I agree. It's a melody that has stuck with me for 20 years, even though I almost never hear this song played in the US.

John- Thank you. I'm certainly trying, anyway!

Chas- Thanks so much. That was exactly why I posted this video. Not because the arrangement is so dazzling (it's very, very simple) and my playing is far from perfect (again, I probably should have practiced it more), but because I wanted to show how I took something I learned from TG and applied it to a different song. Neil often says that he wants us to take what we learn here and apply those lessons to other songs, to not be locked in to a formula.

I love this site so much and am honestly very grateful for all I've learned here, and for the very supportive community we have here.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic