Norwegian Wood by TOVO

michelew

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Tony, I think the slowing down is working a bit better. There's lots of advice here from others that have nailed the song, which I too intend to use. I know you'll nail it once you implement the advice above and find the sweet spots. Good luck. M

tovo

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:59 pm

jayswett wrote:
It seems to me that you have the hard part figured out (melody notes), now it's just a matter of slowing down, developing the muscle memory, relaxing a bit, and learning the lyrics. Looking forward to the final version.
Jay I know the lyrics off by heart...but can't sing it if you can't play it mate! :laugh:

Al all good advice mate. I said I would never mention that digit of mine again but it is the reason my fingers lift...I know it's not ideal and trying to improve that but difficult. However the point you and others have raised on hitting too many strings I fully understand, it's just being a bit lazy and not paying enough attention. I'll fix it.

I know it's a long way off but I also know that I am going to be able to improve this a lot with the tips I have received, whereas if I was trying to do it alone I would just be getting more and more frustrated. So...I take heart in knowing that I am getting every assistance possible and using the value of TG to it's full.

Yamaha48

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:34 am

Hello Tony thanks fore sharing this video.
Strumming and picking in the same time,is harder than it looks.
I play now stil the same,and in this tune is a litle bas picking.
A good tune before your song.
You do a good job mate,and i know there come s a better one from your hand. friendly greet Anton

tovo

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:58 am

Dank u wel Anton. This is really quite a poor job, a lot of poor technique. I am now working hard on practicing this to do a better job. I always appreciate your support.

mark

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:01 am

Just adding to what others have said.
You should try and hold the D chord down while playing the melody notes.

This has two advantages.
If you miss a melody note you will at least hit a note that is part of the D chord and therefore in tune.
You can also have a fuller strumming pattern where you still play the melody but also part or all of the D chord at the same time.

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:56 am

tovo wrote:
jayswett wrote:
It seems to me that you have the hard part figured out (melody notes), now it's just a matter of slowing down, developing the muscle memory, relaxing a bit, and learning the lyrics. Looking forward to the final version.
Jay I know the lyrics off by heart...but can't sing it if you can't play it mate! :laugh:

Al all good advice mate. I said I would never mention that digit of mine again but it is the reason my fingers lift...I know it's not ideal and trying to improve that but difficult. However the point you and others have raised on hitting too many strings I fully understand, it's just being a bit lazy and not paying enough attention. I'll fix it.

I know it's a long way off but I also know that I am going to be able to improve this a lot with the tips I have received, whereas if I was trying to do it alone I would just be getting more and more frustrated. So...I take heart in knowing that I am getting every assistance possible and using the value of TG to it's full.

Right, sorry about that. I forgot about your pinky injury. So if you don't mind my asking- does that injury make you lift all your fingers any time you use your pinky?

willem

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:03 am

Hoi Tony,,your on your way to nail this song,,yes it has more difficults in it as we should think,, i try this one a long time,,sometimes it goes very good and some times i mess up..

When i see the advices,,i would say look what Mark said,,, you must hold that D chord //your mid and ringfinger stay's there and play the melody with your pinky and index,,only in the third part (the bass melody notes) use for the melody your index and midfinger and the ringfinger stay's on that D chord....hope this make some since in my words...your practice speed in your second vid is for the moment to quick,,,,please slow it down,,,when i play it i use Neils version,its good enough,,also when you nail't it and you want to sing along,,goodluck mate..

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am

tovo wrote:
Thanks MJ. Definitely my toughest song to date, not sure why I am struggling so much with it, but the advice is all very good and I'll try to put it into practice.
Tony: We all struggle with something..... I am still struggling with playing the G chord Neil's way. However, it is getting better. Give this song some more time, and it will eventually seem easy....

Cheers!

MJ

BobR

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Tony,
I too would say the timing is a bit off from the picking to the strumming parts. I did not see a second attempt did I miss it? I have also tried this song and it doesn't seem like a two on the difficulty scale. But at least your not playing it on a Sitar like George :laugh:

Keep it up
Bob

tovo

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for all additional comments. Jay, I knew I should NEVER mention that finger again. :) If I concentrate I can hold down the D Chord as Mark and many others suggest, I'm just being lazy as it's easier to cheat and lift them.

Bob, thanks. I took the first version away. Rest assured the 2nd is no great improvement. I think the Sitar would be cool! :)

I worked yesterday on all of the tips raised in this thread and already it's sounding heaps better (Although self praise is no great recommendation it must be said). I did say I was going to leave this but I will absolutely post an update in due course as I hope to show significant improvement.

I want to reinforce the value of using the significant experience of the members here to improve more quickly than one could without that help. Although posting a tune early when it really sucks is hard on your ego, it's really good for becoming a better player and isn't that what it's all about?

Thanks all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic