Norwegian Wood by TOVO

tovo

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:17 pm

I can't begin to describe how tough I have found this song. I think it shows that although the ratings are an excellent guide, each song contains different techniques. What I found difficult about this....well the strumming pattern, the tempo, the picking out of individual notes....pretty much everything!

It could be better, but at this point I'm keen to leave it alone and move on. Perhaps I will revisit but I always say that and don't seem to get back to them, I guess we all prefer to move on to something new.

I've had a couple of tries at it...much more work needed.

[video type=youtube][/video]

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:22 pm

You know thats my problem I take a song so far then move on with the intent to go back and by the time I do I usually need to almost start again.

Not a bad effort here mate although I think you need to watch the tempo speeding up a bit when you go from the picking to the strum, now thats something I also have difficulty with.

Cheers

Chas

tovo

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
You know thats my problem I take a song so far then move on with the intent to go back and by the time I do I usually need to almost start again.

Not a bad effort here mate although I think you need to watch the tempo speeding up a bit when you go from the picking to the strum, now thats something I also have difficulty with.

Cheers

Chas
You're right Chas it's too quick.

suziko

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Tony- I'm glad to see you post a video for this, as I know you've been wrestling with it for a while. I agree completely: I find this song much harder than it has any reason to be. I don't know if it's the segue from the picking to the strumming or what, but I've never gotten it to a point I'm happy with. And I've never even tried to do the hammer-on/pull-off combo, like you did, but instead always just play "Neil's version."

I think if you re-visit this song in a month or so you'll suddenly see an improvement in how you're playing it. Suzi

michelew

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Tony - It's good to hear you playing this song. I've started to learn this too, but have also found that it is more difficult than the scoring would suggest. I wonder if you're a bit frustrated in this post. It sounds like you're rushing a little. You've obviously got all the bits down. But, I wonder whether it would be smoother and more fun to play if you slow it down. I guess I'm saying try to relax a little rather than play it at the speed it is 'suppose' to be played at (no such thing). You might enjoy playing it more.

Having said all that I still think you did good job with a sneaky hard song.

Michele

BigBear

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Tony, my friend, good first effort. Since I know you of all people don't like to have sunshijne blown up your tailpipe maybe I can offer a couple of ideas.

First, you are trying way too hard. This song is really relaxed, a guy hanging out with a girl drinking wine and chatting. The word "lilting" comes to mind. Not rushed, not urgent, free flowing.

Where I think you are having trouble is you are trying to make the fill- in strum too pronounced. It should almost be just brush strokes soflty accenting the melody line.

When I first learned this song, one of my favorite Beatle's tunes, I learned to strum the song well and then gradually brought the melody into play. The strumming could stand on it's own but picking out the melody made the tune much richer.

I hope this feedback helps. It is n't a hard song to play but it is a little tricky and the timing can really mess you up!

Good luck with it! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Bear you are absolutely right. I don't want people saying it's good when I know it isn't. Thanks to Suzi and Michelle also for similar comments.

I've just posted a 2nd try. (Directly underneath the 1st) I think it's a little better but all of your comments are spot on and appreciated.

michelew

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:33 pm

It is currently saying error when I try to play your second video, but ...I'll be back...

suziko

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:57 pm

Quick question- are you hitting the low E and the A string when you strum the D-chord during the beginning melody part? It sounds to me (though it could be the audio in the video/my computer) that the D has lower bass notes than are supposed to be in there; it's hard to tell looking at your hand, but it also looks like you could be strumming all 6 strings.

tovo

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:04 pm

suziko wrote:
Quick question- are you hitting the low E and the A string when you strum the D-chord during the beginning melody part? It sounds to me (though it could be the audio in the video/my computer) that the D has lower bass notes than are supposed to be in there; it's hard to tell looking at your hand, but it also looks like you could be strumming all 6 strings.
Don't think I am Suzi but I'll take all this on board and work on it. I'm sure you learn a lot more from what you play poorly than what you play well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic