Norwegian Wood V.2

MarkM

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:52 pm

With all the talk of Norwegian Wood these past few days and TOVO's recent post I thought I would go back and update my video from a few weeks ago. After looking at various comments and suggestions on both TOVO's and mine I tried to put forth a better effort. Still far from perfect though. So I used a lighter pick and much lighter strum where appropriate. I tried to tighten it up and smooth it out a bit. In some places I probably lightened it up too much as you'll see from time to time where I'm hitting the bass notes on the melody a bit too softly but wanted to show that this song really doesn't need to be played hard and the attack needed to be lighter. At lease in my case from my older post. So with this I'm done for a while unless I decide to post myself singing. :ohmy: I'll figure that one out tomorrow and see how fearless I am. Hope you enjoy and as always, I look forward to any comments or suggestions.

MarkM

michelew

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Mark I can see the improvement. The lighter strumming is really working for you. I think you have it together. I'm still getting used to the different melody line that you use. But, it is sounding really good. And good for you in making it your own.

The only think left is singing. I'm at home alone today and have been singing loudly (for me). I'm working towards one day biting the bullet and following the lead of Chris, Tony, Anton, Jay and others here that have wowed us with their singing and playing skills. So far for me I'm surprised that the dogs and cats aren't howling...mustn't be any around... But, if you're thinking about it, I say give it a go - especially if you've got the pipes. It will be the icing on the cake.

Moondog

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Great job

Mike

suziko

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Mark,

I thought that was great and a real improvement over your last post of this song. The light strumming really works and I like how you varied the strum throughout the song. You and Tony have inspired me to get back to work on this song! Suzi

suziko

Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Hey Guys... and Girls,

I am loving the recent uploads and just haven't had the time to respond like I would like, but a couple of quick comments-

If I am willing to sing on video, everybody should feel OK about it as well.

Give it a try, you might find it easier than you think. As far as a little more advice, I never watch my videos before I upload them as it will only lead to more self-doubts.

I will be back on the case soon...

Neil

MarkM

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks all. Looks like I have to put up another one tomorrow and give the singing a go.

Michele - Thanks. I do change the strum pattern in the middle when there is no singing but I thought I kept to the melody. I'll check that again and it will probably fix itself when/if I sing.

Moondog - love the name. Thanks!!

Suzi - Thank you. I hope that it does help for you to give it another go. For whatever reason this song is easier than most for me to play. Not sure why though. Once I got my pinky finger to work it all fell into place. Maybe because I've been listening to this song for years. As for the different strumming, I do it in the second half of the song to change it up a bit from the rest. I think I heard an outtake from The Beatles doing a demo or something and it stuck.

Neil - Wow!! Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and reply. It is much appreciated. This site has helped me a great deal with just keeping me focused on getting better everyday. It is a joy to participate and watch your lessons. I am very thankful that I found this site last year. With that said, I'll give the singing a try tomorrow and see how that goes. Other than that look for more to come form me in the next few days. I've been hard at work.

MarkM

MarkM

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm

It's really good but one note is wrong....

I once had a girl, or SHOULD I say

The should is wrong....

MarkM

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Should be G, not F#, then F# and D, before the C.

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 pm

That note really stuck out for me too.

Great job on the song in general though. Nice steady strum and really like your hammer-ons!

tovo

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Mark that's really good, I got a lot from it. You and I have discussed that 1 note before, I know you play it by choice not because you have misinterpreted the song. Up to you in my opinion. Anyway, your light strumming is the way to go and that's what I've been practicing for this. Certainly HEAPS better than my effort, but it's not a contest...thanks for giving me a really useful reference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic