Neil Young's Harvest Moon - MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Great job Mark, liked it a lot and your sense of humour at the end. Good video. Reiver has made the point about something not quite right on the Em.... I'm also not sure what it is but I can hear it. great to have another Poster in the club!

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:10 am

Mark, that was sweet!

First, I really like the sound of your guitar. Taylor right? Will have to consider one of those next time around.

Second, your video and audio quality are really good. What are you recording with?

Third (and most important :) ) THE SONG! Really good version of it. I've played this for a while now and I don't think I have it as smooth as you do yet. I particularly like your selective strumming- not hitting all of the strings for every strum.

Lastly, the ending. Perfect! Glad you found where your version and John's differed.

willem

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:16 am

MarkM, you are very very on your way with this nice tune,,and you can take it to the campfire,, i'm sure..

Ps can you also sing the lyrics with it????? that would be so nice..goodluck..

MarkM

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks all. Sorry for the delay here between "sucking" yesterday and actually having to get some work done I stayed away a bit. :dry:

Reiver - The Em7... Some others had thought that chord sounded strange. I did make sure the tuning was true and accurate (Drop D). I did add my pinky to the B string halfway in that strum to add some nuance (I think Neil did some of that in his lesson as well). It may sound off from time to time as I may not have hit the chord cleanly coming out of the 1st fill. I'll just blame it on some dull strings. I'll be changing them today. Thanks.

Chas - Thank you as well. I'll be working on that fill and get it right soon. I just wanted to post the video as I pretty comfortable with the rest of the song. Of course it always comes out better when not on film. It's just a great song that I really wanted to learn. My wife has always like it as well.

Kevin - Thank you. For this video only I did the short cut. I know I have to get it right eventually.

Neverfoundthetime - Thanks for picking up on the Norwegian Wood ending. You all finally got into my head and I realised I was infact doing it wrong so I wanted to show everyone that I can listen and learn. :woohoo:

Al - Yup Taylor DN4. Sitka top and Ovangkol back and sides. I'm really happy with it. I wanted to be a bit different and not go the Rosewood route for the Dred. I am looking at a GA though with rosewood and if I can get my fingerpicking up to snuff I'll treat myself to one of these. As for the recording I'm just using a Canon Vixia HG21. No electrics as the guitar is acoustic only. It is an HD camera though.

Willem - Thanks. Singing? :blush: Right now I concentrating all my brain power on the left and right hands while trying to keep time. I'll see if I can get a singing version out. I'll have to wait until my kids go back to school next week and my wife is out shopping. I don't want them to think I'm killing animals up in my office :)

goldleaf

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Good job Mark M., I know exactly what you are saying about that second fill. It took me a lot of repitions to get it somewhat close to the way Neil does it. You did a great job on the timing and making one of my favorite song sound great. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic