reiver - Long Train Running

reiver

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi all,

I decided to join the "out of my comfort zone" group and post this for your perusal.

Long Train Running by The Doobie Brothers is an excellent song with a great introduction on electric guitar strumming a Gm7 hammered on at the 10th fret (I think) but perhaps this part is what really makes the song for me. It is a Pat Simmons acoustic riff played under the main song.

For those unfamiliar with the song you should probably check it out before listening to me butcher it here. www.we7.com will play you it (and every other song) for free. Having said that, I think it stands up pretty well as a piece of music on it's own rights.

Technical Stuff(those not interested just go and watch)

This is played on the record in E5 tuning (EBEEBE) capoed at 3. I didn't want to put that strain on my old guitar, so I tuned to D5 (DADDAD). I think that this is an open D tuning with the 3rd tuned down to D - therefore no 3rd (F#) and identical notes on the 3rd and 4th strings. This means I'm quite high up the neck for some parts and the tuning goes a bit. There, it's the guitar's fault now.

This is probably played at about 3/4 time (more like Long Train Jogging). I can play faster but, for some reason, not when the camera is on.

There are only 4 different separate bars of music but it has taken me about a week to get it to this stage. I think that this is due to a combination of things, picking patterns changing, odd chord shapes, strange tuning, but I'm glad to have reached this stage at last. And on the plus side - it only lasts a minute!

r

dennisg

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Very, very nice, Reiver. That's a sprightly little tune, and you do a great job with it. You don't look out of your comfort zone for a second.

- Dennis

michelew

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Out of your comfort zone...I'm having trouble imagining that. You sound great!

MarkM

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 pm

Reiver,

I like it, I like it, I like it. Very nice. That only after a week. Nice. This is what I mean when there is so much more for me out there if I could only get my fingers to work without a pick. I am seriosly jealous. Loved the song choice as well. Can't wait to see it all sped up.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:08 pm

Good going R. Brave of you to leave the comfort zone for this one! Complete black hole for me but it sounds like its coming along just fine!

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Nice job reiver!

Here's a clip for those not familiar with the song....

Lavallee

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Reiver, you really did justice to the part. I have been playing with this song for a while (the funky rhythm section) on my electric guitar an you are right on the nose. I would be nice to combine both. That is a fun song.

Marc

reiver

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks all for your kind words.

MJ - thanks for the post, unfortunately Pat must have been having an off night 'cos he's not playing the riff! Try the album version......I can't find it on YT though.

Marc - that sounds like an interesting project - wonder where we can find a singer. (and I'll speed up, honest)

r

suziko

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Reiver- I actually really liked the slowed-down version of that song. It works better for me than the original for some reason.

One thing I like and admire about your playing, and which I noticed way back when you posted Melissa, is how comfortable you are moving up and down the neck of the guitar. I still feel panic-y when I move out of "first position" but you seem so at ease. Maybe that comes with experience... Suz

Lavallee

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Also need an Harmonica (this is a tough song for harmonica), a bass player (Catman is one but he is already involved in Tovo's project, I am sure there are other ones but I do not remember who) , and 2 drum players (drum machine would do).

I would love to give it a shot, if you are interested, really like that song

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic