reiver - Long Train Running

dekotaj

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:16 pm

WOW REIVER WOW!Jogging my butt.Great song,great band & great job.Love the Doobies,I have this whole album on mp3 player and lission to it at work.BRAVO

Kevin

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Reiver, I really enjoyed that. Never would have thought of fingerpicking this song- but it works! Your steady alternating base note is strong too. I'm digging the alternate tunings as well. Makes harder songs more within reach.

BTW- MJ- Don't know if you noticed, but they added a lame disco beat to your youtube post of the original song. Not cool (or good).

BobR

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Reiver,

It sure doesn't appear that your not in your comfort zone. I thought you did a great job. I really liked the finger picking.

Bob

reiver

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Isn't it strange when you post a song that you've known forever (about 1975 for me, although the album came out earlier) and people haven't heard it? Anyway........

Suzi - thank you. I agree, I think as a stand-alone tune it's better at around this speed. The song in general is and should be a bit faster. Not sure how comfortable I feel out of 1st position - you couldn't see the look of fear on my face. I suppose it comes with years and years and years of practice......

dekotaj - thanks, kind words from someone who did such a great job of Time in a Bottle.

Al - can't take much credit for the idea of finger picking this part, it's right there on the record. It was interesting watching the bass in the play back. I find it hard to tell when I concentrate on playing the melody if my thumb is truly alternating, and I noticed one spot where I stuck on the same note - in both play throughs. Something for me to work on.

r

reiver

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks Bob. I suppose the comfort zone is a song that you've played for a long time. This is brand new to me so a bit scary.

r

reiver

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Also need an Harmonica (this is a tough song for harmonica), a bass player (Catman is one but he is already involved in Tovo's project, I am sure there are other ones but I do not remember who) , and 2 drum players (drum machine would do).

I would love to give it a shot, if you are interested, really like that song

Marc
Marc
I play a bit of harmonica ,but this is well out of my league. Sounds like an interesting project - but there's no hurry. We can enjoy Tovo's collaboration and try to plan something for later in the spring. Give me a chance to get a bit more practice in!

r

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Yeah, it was the best YT version I could find......There was one closer to the album, but the volume was very low and it sounded like someone recorded it with an old hand held tape recorder from the early 80's......Not very good either......lol

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:58 am

reiver wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
Also need an Harmonica (this is a tough song for harmonica), a bass player (Catman is one but he is already involved in Tovo's project, I am sure there are other ones but I do not remember who) , and 2 drum players (drum machine would do).

I would love to give it a shot, if you are interested, really like that song

Marc
Marc
I play a bit of harmonica ,but this is well out of my league. Sounds like an interesting project - but there's no hurry. We can enjoy Tovo's collaboration and try to plan something for later in the spring. Give me a chance to get a bit more practice in!

r
Sounds good to me

Marc

BigBear

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:12 am

Reiver- Outstanding! I love that song and you did it real justice! Excellent fingerpicking!

Thanks for sharing! :cheer:

Catman

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:44 am

Reiver, I am impressed.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic