U2 - One - MarkM

MarkM

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm

Happy New Year!! Just wanted to get this out. I've been playing around with it the past few days. I did some with a pick and some without. To my ears it was better playing simply with my thumb. This is a very simple version of this song. I've seen some with much more intricate hammer ons. This one is just a simple mellow version of me strumming in my office. I'm sure there are better version that you are all capable of putting out there for me to learn from. Thanks. Off to go get some Chinese food.........

Oh and off with the crappy attempt at a beard tonight. 40 years old and still can't grow a beard. Need to look good for work next week anyways.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:22 pm

Very enjoyable, Mark

I've got no tech comments, but your steady patient interpretation makes it seem easy.

michelew

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:36 pm

Very nice Mark - smooth and mellow. BTW - I've never been able to grow a beard either LOL :P (not that I've ever wanted to) - maybe when I've an old lady.

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:50 pm

Nice relaxed style, and you sound like you have that one down pat already. Looks like a good way to chill-out on a New Years Eve... :)

Cheers.

PS: I grew my first real-ish beard at 40 years as well ... don't think it was much fuller than what yours looks to be, but I was *proud* of mine! ;)

captainkdp

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:39 pm

Good Job Mark. Nice soft sound without the pick.
I too am trying the beard, but found I have way too much gray. Back to reality next week...
Happy New Year bro.

Lavallee

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:19 am

HI Mark, you look very comfortable playing the song (not familiar with it however). It sounds very good , you are on top of it.

Marc

reiver

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:26 am

Looked very comfortable for you Mark. Nicely done.

r

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:24 am

Very nice. Hammer ons sound good. I agree that you look quite comfortable. I'm usually a ball of nerves when the camera goes on.

MarkM

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks all. Looks like the video came out choppy this time. Not sure why. Hope everyone is enjoying New Years Day.

The beard is off an now my twin 5 year old girls will kiss my cheek again. :)

Jay - as for the nerves, I'm usually in the same boat. One minute I sound very good to my ears and then once on camera I turn into a pile of goo. The good thing about the camera is there is always another take. He I see that you are in NH as well. I left a message in your inbox. I'm about 40 min away........

MarkM

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Hey Mark,

Yes, the video is a bit funky this time. You might need to clean your tape heads (assuming you're shooting with tape?)

That was enjoyable and I liked the fact that you played like that. I find that my strumming sounds better without a pick in general. Softer, more forgiving sound imho.

Happy New Year!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic