Father and Son Take 1

BobR

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Here's my attempt at Father and Son. I seem to have a problem with the D7 and my timing at the end is kind of bad.

Bob

[video type=youtube][/video]

wrench

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Bob,

What a great song to work on. I started working this song two weeks ago, and I'm not ready to record it yet.

Your video sounds like you you're not hitting enough of the bass strings. For example, the D/F# turns the D into a big and dissonant chord, and more emphasis on those bass strings give the song a power boost right there that I didn't sense in the vid. The C needs a little more emphasis in the bass as well.

You mentioned some timing trouble, and I couldn't see the video clearly enough to tell, but I would venture a guess here that the timing problem may actually be a strumming pattern problem. I suggest reviewing Neil's lesson to see if you have the pattern down correctly.

A great first pass, though. It's a beautiful song, and I know your polished version will be great. I'm anxious to see if I can get it to sound as good as yours.

wrench

willem

Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Bob,great,this is one of my fouvrites to,,can say much about the timing or strumming,,when i remember the lesson it was a kind of 1 -fake -3 and 4.. great to see your doing that litlle fill...looking forwards to your polisch one..goodluck

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:05 pm

That's good going Bob! All you need is a family member to sing along :-).
It's coming along just fine. You'll find the timing will ease up with more practice. Sliding up to those notes on the high E and B string is quite tricky at first but starts to become easier with more practice. Keep it going and keep the videos coming!

suziko

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Bob,

Nice job! I don't know this song, so I can't comment on your timing. But you had a nice steady rhythm throughout and are doing a nice job on some tough-looking barre chords. Plus, I'm still generally flumoxed by slides, so I'm impressed with how well you did yours.

I think you've got a great start on this song. Play it a little longer and you'll ace it!

Suzi

michelew

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Bob - great job! - you are sooooooo close to having it nailed. Have you tried playing it against a slowed down version of the original to get the feel for the bits where you think the timing isn't quite right? I find it realllly helps to play against the original - at a slowed pace and then speed it up to a pace that is comfortable - there are a few programs around - Neil mentioned the one that I use fairly recently. I won't suggest it in case I violate the 'no promotion' thing. But, you get the idea.

I look forward to the take that you're happy with. Thanks - BTW I could hear Cat singing in my head while you were playing.

reiver

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Bob

Happy New Year

Other that a couple of minor timing issues that you've already mentioned I thought that this was a really nice version of a great song.

r

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:00 pm

I sang along as you played, so I did notice the timing isues. Other than that, though, it was very, very good. Definitely progress since your Bob Seeger video. Nice job. Glad to see that you are Patriots fan.

MarkM

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Bob,

Very well done. Strong performance!!! Can't add anything else that was already said. Thanks for sharing. I may have to try that one out.

MarkM

BobR

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:04 pm

I meant to say I was having an issue with the Bm7 when I typed D7. Hmmm maybe if I get my chords straight I could post it again. :laugh:

Seriously though, Thank you everyone that took the time to listen and for all the positive critiques.

Happy New Year,

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic