'Hallelujah' by AcousticAl (with and without effects)

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Al, when I said that I "have the exact same trouble (singing) on both interpretations", that was totally meant as a compliment, to say that your playing and timing was very close to that of Neil's lesson for the Jeff Buckley version for that song. That remark was also meant to be self-deprecating as to my own singing.

Rereading my comment today, I admit that it does sound somewhat cryptic,
and it is probably also a convoluted way of saying that it would have been helpful to have added some singing to the lesson on the Jeff Buckley version. That version has a number of embellishments, and it takes some extra work to synchronize the lyrics and melody just right, compared to the standard version. Hence: good playing, but singer off to a slow start :side:

I hope this clears things up (at least "I" know what "I" mean!)

Regards,
Pierre

haoli25

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:05 pm

You nailed it Al. I thought your fingerpicking and the chord transitions were very smooth. While both versions were good, I liked the 'effects version' better. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

sws626

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:55 am

I really enjoyed this and was especially interested in your experiments as it's a song I'm planning to start working on myself soon. I have to say that I like the clean version better as an accompaniment to vocals, but the effects capture some expression that would be missing if you are not going to sing. The lyrics of this song are so beautiful that it is a shame not to hear them; but my own range is limited, so I would probably have to lose the capo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic