'Hallelujah' by AcousticAl (with and without effects)

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:04 pm

I missed my goal of posting one more song before the end of 2009. Here it is one day late (and on very little sleep). That's not an excuse- this is actually a good representation of where I'm at with this song.

Notes:
-Sorry about the distorted last chord. :pinch:

-I'm using my micro br for this recording. You might like the effect for this song, you might not. Let me know, as I'm curious either way.

-For those of you who have also tried this song-- I was having a really hard time on the change in the 9th measure-- from the D to the B7/D#. In order to play this cleaner/easier, I changed how I finger my D-chord in that measure. If you watch closely, you'll see that I finger the D chord using my middle, ring and pinky fingers in that measure only. That way, the change to get to the B7/D# is much easier-- all I have to do is lift my pinky and place my index finger on the D# on the D string.

Comments welcome as usual.

**Here's a new version with NO effects so you can compare.

BobR

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Al,

Sounds like you have the song down, but to be honest I think I'd like it without the effects, sorry.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Great going Al! I like the effects and the whole thing sounds cool. Better a decade late than never, eh? :-)

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks Chris & Bob.

Bob, no need to apologize. There's close to 100 effects I could have chosen- or none at all. Just wondering what people think of the one I used this time.

I actually had the lofty goal of doing a clean version every time I uploaded a song with effects. Haven't gotten around to following up on other songs I've posted with effects either.

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Obviously got the song down there Al, my Jury's still out on those effects, maybe less chorus? and more reverb and turn down the treble. But then you've made it your version so keep it the way it is lol See what I mean Jury's out ...

Good on ya mate

Chas

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Obviously got the song down there Al, my Jury's still out on those effects, maybe less chorus? and more reverb and turn down the treble. But then you've made it your version so keep it the way it is lol See what I mean Jury's out ...

Good on ya mate

Chas

Thanks Chas. I'll make a point of making a clean version of this song.

btw- I made a comment in another thread about how I admired Tony and Anton's version because they sang while they played it! For some reason, I have a hard time just getting through the fingerpicking of it. Oh well.

michelew

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm with Chas - I was getting some distortion thoroughout which was sort of distracting - but I liked the chorus effect too. Your playing is very smooth and you didn't look like you were having trouble for a second. I hope to emulate that competence and confidence once I finally get it into enough shape to post. I haven't concentrated on it yet, but Hallelujah is definitely on my learn in early 2010 list.

Thanks for the post and the reminder.

dekotaj

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Hallelujah,Sorry Al not sure I know this song,so when you got done with it I listen to a couple of other performers do it. Listen to it clean and with effects.Thought it was good song both ways.But before I listen to the others I got to say I really enjoyed the way you were playing it.So BRAVO!And way to make that chord change work for you.GOOD JOB.

jayswett

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:46 pm

I liked the effect and capo high like you did. It sounded alot like the version I downloaded (not leornard cohen, but some other guy?). Good trick with the B7 fingering.

reiver

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Al

Happy New Year

Very nicely played. I don't usually like effects, but this makes it sound very close to Jeff Buckley's version so it seems to fit quite well, for me at least.

Looking forward to hearing a lot more from you in the coming year.

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic