'Hallelujah' by AcousticAl (with and without effects)

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:47 pm

wiley wrote:
As always, well done, with or without the box.

You did hit on something though. Neil never says "The correct way" to finger a particular chord, he says something along the lines of "Preferred" or "Favorite" way. There's a time and place (and you found just such one) to utilize a 'different' fingering. I squeal at the words 'alternate fingering' because honestly, there is no absolute correct way.

Again, well done, smooth and relaxed. Enjoyed it.

Thanks Wiley. I like to point out when I find things that help my playing a certain song, in the hopes that it might help others when they try to tackle it.

btw- you'll see the different fingering I'm talking about at around the :32 or :33 mark of both videos.

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Al, As i said the Jury's out on effects or no effects, both sound good, the effects make it more yours though. I'm with Marc on looking for more Bass and less treble though.

I think its neat to get a song down clean then add effects once your happy that way. It appears as if you pretty much nailed this song, found your own prefered way to finger something which suits you. To me its more important to nail a song first, get the techniques right the smooth transitions going you have that part now you can play around and make it do what you want with that amazing little box of tricks.

Both good versions.

keep em coming, Good on ya mate.

tovo

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Great job Al as usual. I prefer no effects. It's very rarely that I feel I can add something useful in the way of tips for improvement but I think the passing bass notes need more emphasis and the tempo needs slowing just a touch to improve the feel of the song. Nothing dramatic and I am certainly no expert but that's my thought. Love the song and glad to see you tackle it.

Yamaha48

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks Al fore your performens.
You do it fine my friend,but i waiting on your singing hahaha lol.
The B7 is not a hard chord,Neil do the half B7 and i do the same.
i love the song Hallelujah.
Thanks fore sharing your version on this tune.
Happy new year my friend

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:55 am

Al, very pleasant and fluid ... I doublechecked by singing along to your video and then to Neil's playthrough of Jeff Buckley's version and I have the exact same trouble on both interpretations, so you pass with flying colors :)

By the way, I've been practicing the plainer version (no capo) since the fall, and I hadn't returned to the actual lesson for awhile.

Briefly reviewing Neil's lessons on the first two versions (I'm not so keen on the third) I am a bit surprised by how I've wandered from the lessons, so this is a good refresher for me.

Oh yeah ... any sound experiments are fun, but I much prefer plain guitar so as to "compare apples to apples".

Congrats, good stuff!

michelew

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:58 am

Al - On listening to the first version again and the second - I've found that I like both. Your playing is so smooth and even it is a real pleasure to listen to. I love this song. I've started the Tabbed version - so I won't have the B7 issue.

Loved it.

Michele

willem

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:34 am

Hallelujah,,''I heard there was a secret chord'''Al, you almost have it down,, it is very tricky there when you must go from the D chord trough the half B7 because you must hold the D chord till the last note,,but think a litlle ahaed,, and i think i saw a other tricky thing,,when you go from the B7 trough a kind of half Em you must hold that for two measers,,but the second you can play it split up,,i mean!! one measer fulll(1-2-3-4-5-6) and the second you can on the half(1-2-3) of that play it without you fretting finger (4-5-6)and you go to the C and sing hallelujah... hope you got me....for the effect i like for this song no effect but it is nice play around with effects,i think in the bleus the effects are great to use....cheeeeeseeee..

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:45 am

tovo wrote:
Great job Al as usual. I prefer no effects. It's very rarely that I feel I can add something useful in the way of tips for improvement but I think the passing bass notes need more emphasis and the tempo needs slowing just a touch to improve the feel of the song. Nothing dramatic and I am certainly no expert but that's my thought. Love the song and glad to see you tackle it.
Welcome back tony! Sounds like you had a good trip.

I agree about the bass notes and the tempo. For some reason, I have a tough time slowing the song down. I think slowing it will help with the chord changes as well.

jayswett

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:48 am

Loved both versions. No preference for one over the other, but I do think the "altered" version sounds a bit more like the Jeff Buckley original. Once I get a chance to look into those Jim Croce songs, I'm going to learn this one. I watched Neils lesson when it first came out, but haven't really concentrated on it. It is truly a beautiful song.

I should add that even for those who do not want to learn this song, the final segment of Neils lesson is interesting to watch as he demonstrates how he thinks about how to change songs from key to key. I think he just had the cameral rolling as he was considering the notion of how to change from D to A, or whatever it was. I can't remember the details at the moment. Anyway, I'd recommend watching it, even if the song itself doesn't interest you.

Well done, Al. As always, I look forward to your next one.

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:51 am

yamaha48 wrote:
Thanks Al fore your performens.
You do it fine my friend,but i waiting on your singing hahaha lol.
The B7 is not a hard chord,Neil do the half B7 and i do the same.
i love the song Hallelujah.
Thanks fore sharing your version on this tune.
Happy new year my friend

Hi Anton!

It's great that both you and tony commented right after each other, as you have both done great versions of this song.

Re. the B7- I do the half chord as well. But there's something about going from the D-chord to that half B7 that messes me up every time. That's why I use the alternate fingering I spoke of. I'm sure I'd get it the other way as well- but I enjoy being married and my wife has heard that chord change enough!!!

(Willem- let me know if you understand that joke)
:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic