'Hallelujah' by AcousticAl (with and without effects)

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:58 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Al, very pleasant and fluid ... I doublechecked by singing along to your video and then to Neil's playthrough of Jeff Buckley's version and I have the exact same trouble on both interpretations, so you pass with flying colors :)

By the way, I've been practicing the plainer version (no capo) since the fall, and I hadn't returned to the actual lesson for awhile.

Briefly reviewing Neil's lessons on the first two versions (I'm not so keen on the third) I am a bit surprised by how I've wandered from the lessons, so this is a good refresher for me.

Oh yeah ... any sound experiments are fun, but I much prefer plain guitar so as to "compare apples to apples".

Congrats, good stuff!
Hey Cosmic (it's pierre, right?)

I'm not sure what you meant when you said you have trouble singing along? What part were you referring to?

Also about wandering from the original tab- I don't see a problem with that- it's what will make the song your own. But as Chas said earlier, you need to get the song down COLD first, then you can play with it. I wandered a bit from the original tab by adding the high G a little early to some of my chords. Seemed to work ok.

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 am

michelew wrote:
Al - On listening to the first version again and the second - I've found that I like both. Your playing is so smooth and even it is a real pleasure to listen to. I love this song. I've started the Tabbed version - so I won't have the B7 issue.

Loved it.

Michele

I take that as a HUGE compliment, Michele. I don't know why, but this song was/is really hard for me to make sound smooth. I don't think it's particularly complicated, especially if you compare it to others videos that I've uploaded. Each song gives us a new set of challenges, and this one is definitely no exception for me.

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 am

willem wrote:
Hallelujah,,''I heard there was a secret chord'''Al, you almost have it down,, it is very tricky there when you must go from the D chord trough the half B7 because you must hold the D chord till the last note,,but think a litlle ahaed,, and i think i saw a other tricky thing,,when you go from the B7 trough a kind of half Em you must hold that for two measers,,but the second you can play it split up,,i mean!! one measer fulll(1-2-3-4-5-6) and the second you can on the half(1-2-3) of that play it without you fretting finger (4-5-6)and you go to the C and sing hallelujah... hope you got me....for the effect i like for this song no effect but it is nice play around with effects,i think in the bleus the effects are great to use....cheeeeeseeee..
Hi Willem.

Thanks for your comments. I will check out the chord change that you mention to see if it helps.

Happy New Year!

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:19 am

jayswett wrote:
Loved both versions. No preference for one over the other, but I do think the "altered" version sounds a bit more like the Jeff Buckley original. Once I get a chance to look into those Jim Croce songs, I'm going to learn this one. I watched Neils lesson when it first came out, but haven't really concentrated on it. It is truly a beautiful song.

I should add that even for those who do not want to learn this song, the final segment of Neils lesson is interesting to watch as he demonstrates how he thinks about how to change songs from key to key. I think he just had the cameral rolling as he was considering the notion of how to change from D to A, or whatever it was. I can't remember the details at the moment. Anyway, I'd recommend watching it, even if the song itself doesn't interest you.

Well done, Al. As always, I look forward to your next one.

Hey Jay!

Glad you liked it. And thanks for reminding people of the hidden gem in Neil's lesson. Maybe we can all mention things like that when we post our versions. There's so many lessons now that I know I'm missing stuff like that.

Also, I was thinking it's been a while since you've posted something yourself. No doubt you're working on something cool, so I look forward to your next post.

btw- I've been working on 'Dear Prudence' off and on since I saw your version of it. I'm not ready to post it, but thanks for reminding me of this great tune.

dennisg

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:07 am

Al,

Terrific! I always love your posts. Your playing was smooth and effortless, and the song sounded beautiful. I never realized that playing the song requires two consecutive bass notes. Was that difficult to wrap your mind around, considering it's natural to alternate bass strings with treble strings?

I like the chorus effect, but then I received the same comments on my video about using it.

One of these days, I'd like to hear you sing.

- Dennis

tovo

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:53 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
I don't think it's particularly complicated, especially if you compare it to others videos that I've uploaded. Each song gives us a new set of challenges, and this one is definitely no exception for me.
I think this is absolutely spot on Al. I have found, as you have, that you can't assume that because you can play something relatively tough you will easily crack "easier" songs. Your comment "each song gives us a new set of challenges" is so true.

willem

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:21 pm

tovo wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
I don't think it's particularly complicated, especially if you compare it to others videos that I've uploaded. Each song gives us a new set of challenges, and this one is definitely no exception for me.
I think this is absolutely spot on Al. I have found, as you have, that you can't assume that because you can play something relatively tough you will easily crack "easier" songs. Your comment "each song gives us a new set of challenges" is so true.
Sometimes you can be lucky..... '' HALLELUJAH'' is the same pIcking as ''THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN'' only in HALLELUJAH there a some tricky things,,, i have learn in this song the use or picking from half chords and carry that over to other song or self written songs....

When we strum its all the movement of eight notes,,,,look at a ''other brick in the wall'' lesson and you learn or know how to do sixteens!!

RicksPick

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Nicely done Al

got to be without for me though

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Well, its a tough call Al. I liked both versions and the no-effects sounds really clean and smooth on this lovely song. Of course, I'm now wondering what it would sound like with about half of the effects you had on, as a kind of between version...... :-)

Keep them coming Al. Pizza a beer to you!

AndyT

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 pm

If we are voting, I say 'with'. I like to mess around with effects myself. Not enough to really change it, but just enough to give it a fuller sound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic