Greensleeves by Michele

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Nice post Michel, sounds warm, a good start and with a little more time it'll flow like water.

My first and only guitar for over 15 years was a classical that somehow dropped into my lap for free in the '70s (a Yamaha). Whoever let go of it didn't know what he had in hand, cause I beat the !$#?! outta it and it survives to this day in my daughter's home. Her boyfriend is a pro musician (electric guitar, drums), loves to practice on it and praises it often.

I found it quite a challenge to go from a classical guitar's "soft touch" to the endurance needed to play steel strings. Doing the opposite must be more like a relaxing finger exercise. Also, a calloused steel string player good easily get some good bends from the nylon classical strings.

Pierre

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks guys.

Mark - it is a bit challenging on the brain, but fun.

Pierre - Bends on a classical - now there's a concept! Yamahas do seem to old their own. Yes, starting with a steel string has made fretting the nylon easier. My fingers still get a little sore after play for a long while - but I get much more time before they do.

Michele

tovo

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Michele that is coming along wonderfully well. They say jealousy is a curse but I am so jealous of those incredibly long and slender fingers of yours! You really do have the longest fingers I think I have ever seen, perfect for guitar...genetics can be a great gift! :)

Beautiful song well on the way to being perfected by you. Bravo.

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks Tony. My mum is envious of my long fingers too. I must have gotten them from my dad's side. Actually, my mum thought I should learn the piano. I would like to one day and the flute.....and the bass.....and the mandolin....and the ukulele..... hhmmm - I might need a few lifetimes - we'll see.

And you've got that nice voice and lots of strength for those pesky barre chords.

How's Norwegian Wood going? Kicking it's bum yet? I'm looking forward to your new post.

Thanks again.

Michele

suziko

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 pm

I can't tell you how happy I was to see you post this! And you gave a "shout-out" to all of my own stumbling blocks in this song. I played that switch from Am to F over and over and over again, probably hundreds of times. It's really hard. For me, the hardest part of it was that quick transition from G# to A. And then the dreaded E7, where you gotta grab the F# with your pinky.

But for all its challenges, I loved learning this song and still play it regularly as a practice piece.

I think you did a really nice job with it. The flaws you have I think can be attributed to you playing on a new guitar and getting used to that, and that you've just learned this piece. Another week of playing it, and you'll be ready to debut it at your nearest Renaissance festival ;)

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks Suzi!!!! It's great to compare notes on the bits that really messy with your head - yep grabbing that F# with your pinky - I think I get it about 50% of the time... still really working on that one.

It is a beautiful song though so worth the challenges as you say.

LOL re: the Renaissances Festival - hmmmm...we have lots of those in my neighbourhood.

And thanks for inspiring me to learn it!

Michele

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Really nice, Michele. Steady rhythm- as if you're listening to a metronome playing in your head.

Congrats for sure on a great version.

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:04 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Really nice, Michele. Steady rhythm- as if you're listening to a metronome playing in your head.

Congrats for sure on a great version.
....metronom in my head... that's what that annoying noise is!

Thanks Al!

reiver

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm

Michele - I thought that you played that beautifully, even without concession to the new-ness of the guitar. And it sounded great on the nylon strings.
Both hand positions looked great and you certainly did Maree proud.

r

ps I really envy both you and Nemaste your fingers!

nemastetaylor

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi, I thought it sounded pretty darn close to perfect. I noticed the guitar change right away. yes, it's sounds nice on the nylon guitar. Again, it really sounds quite good.

Nemaste

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic