Greensleeves by Michele

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 pm

This is my last day of leave so I'm posting this video ready or not. Suzi inspired me to learn this song with her lovely rendition of 'What child is this'. Since it is no longer Christmas I guess I'm playing Greensleeves.

It's by no means perfect. For example, there are a few bum notes in it - perhaps I'll post another when I 'perfect' it. I found quite a few things challenging in this ; the Am to F change (which is just strange), the E(7) stretch - getting my little finger to the F# especially; forming the high F# while sort of staying in C and using the correct fingers for plucking. I found that my middle finger kept trying to take over from my ring finger (on my right hand of course). I also found that the fretting pressure is more important/sensitive (enough but not too much) than when playing the steel string. And the buzzing you can hear is the bass strings hitting my thumb. I'm not sure how to correct that.

As you can see this is not my normal guitar, it is a Yamaha G50A - 1969-72. It's a present from a friend's mum. I love the sound, but I'm still getting used to the differences between it and my steel string. However, I still thought that this song suits it's sound.

I'd welcome any advice you have. I think some of the above is a matter of becoming more familiar with the guitar, but if you've got tips/tricks/exercises that will speed me along this journey please don't hesitate to send them my way.

Thanks for watching.

Michele

Lavallee

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Michele, you did a very nice job on this lovely song. A bit more practice and it will be perfect. Besides the sensitivity of the strings, do you feel that you will use more of the classical guitar and be looking more for songs to play with it?

Marc

BobR

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Michele,

I think you are way to hard on yourself. I thought it sounded very good. You seem to keep the timing rather well. And using a different guitar it must make it a little harder. Is the neck on this a little wider than your normal steel string?

Great Job.

Bob

haoli25

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Wonderful Michele! You did a great job. I think you are a natural classical guitar player. That new guitar has a great sound too. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks Marc! I think I will probably try and go for a 50/50 balance. Although realistically I seem to be concentrating on the classical at the moment to get the feel for it. I Have some Fred Noad books (Baroque, Renaissance and Classical) that Neil suggested and intend to start learning those songs soon. Lisa has also recommended a couple of good classical books to me. All of that should keep me out of trouble for a while.

However, I still intend to learn steel string songs too. Although I'm finding that some of the TG stuff I've already learned suits the classical too. And I want to improve my strumming and flatpicking this year as well.

Having said that though if you have something specific in mind I'd love to hear your advice. Do you play a classical guitar too?

Thanks again.

Michele

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Bob and Bill - thanks - you both snuck in while I was replying to Marc.

Bob - yes the neck is quite a bit wider. It feels it anyway. It is a little strange on the brain going between the steel string and the classical. I'm hoping that I'll become more versatile with time.

Bill - I love seeing those clapping hands and thank you! I think it sounds sweet too. I'm actually considering looking at cedar topped steel strings if I ever become financial enough to buy myself a nice new guitar (Bear - you'll be happy to know that Taylor is at the top of my list).

ta

Michele

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 pm

HI Michele, Good job on that. As for the buzz, fretting fingernails are a must to be very short on nylon strings, plus finger position is even more critical i.e. get as close to the fret as possible. Although i think you might be being a bit hard on yourself with worrying about buzz its not that pronounced really.

Thats a lovely sounding guitar you scored.

Chas

Lavallee

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:23 pm

michelew wrote:
Thanks Marc! I think I will probably try and go for a 50/50 balance. Although realistically I seem to be concentrating on the classical at the moment to get the feel for it. I Have some Fred Noad books (Baroque, Renaissance and Classical) that Neil suggested and intend to start learning those songs soon. Lisa has also recommended a couple of good classical books to me. All of that should keep me out of trouble for a while.

However, I still intend to learn steel string songs too. Although I'm finding that some of the TG stuff I've already learned suits the classical too. And I want to improve my strumming and flatpicking this year as well.

Having said that though if you have something specific in mind I'd love to hear your advice. Do you play a classical guitar too?

Thanks again.

Michele
I do not play much classic , I play Minuet in G (just showed a video of someone playing it in case you are not familiar with it): very fun song, not too abstract. I am almost done with Bouree which is definitely fun but a little fast pace.I also had a shot at Pachelbel canon in D, got half way through but got distracted. Slow pace but use of bar chords and it is a drop D tuning (next video). I also play Romanza from the site.
Whatever you decide, keep in mind that classical guitar is really for you own enjoyment so you pick whatever you really like. Contrary to folks or rock as most of the songs here, classical do not draw the hearing from the people you play, so you migth as well take something you really enjoy.

Bill is probably the expert in classic and could certainly give you a better guidance or suggestion

Marc

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks Chas! The buzzing I was referring to was the string hitting the nails on my right nail - I guess because the string moves through a larger arc than the equivalent steel string. And yes I do need to work on fretting closer to the fret. Thanks

Thanks for the videos Marc - they are all songs I would like to learn. In fact Minuet in G is the first in one of the books. I'm not sure that is is the same yet , but chances are... Lucky for me my partner also likes the sound of classical and other music played on a classical guitar.

ta

Michele

MarkM

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Michele,

That was really very nice. Consider that you just got this guitar, not to mention that the width is completely different you did outstanding. Tempo was spot on. Once you get used to the different strings and the frets you'll have this one down pat.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic