Greensleeves by Michele

michelew

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:24 am

Reiver - Thanks, that's a huge compliment coming from you. I love your videos.

Nemaste - Thanks - it seems that we have fans - 'the appreciators of guitarist with long fingers'. I'm looking forward to your new video too!

mark

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 am

Nice playing.
You have the timing perfect.

The new guitar looks and sounds great. From your description on your blog I was expecting something more like Willie Nelsons guitar :laugh:

I know what you mean about the right hand fingers touching the strings and causing buzzing. My ring finger does that some times and makes a nasty sound.
I haven't managed to get rid of it, but I'm guessing the solution is to move just a little bit further away from the strings after plucking.

dennisg

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:41 am

Fantastic, Michele. You kept perfect tempo throughout the song. I think that piece is at least as difficult as anything I've every played. I can't believe how far you've come in the three months I've been a TGer. Congratulations!

- Dennis

willem

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:50 am

michelew wrote:
This is my last day of leave so I'm posting this video ready or not. Suzi inspired me to learn this song with her lovely rendition of 'What child is this'. Since it is no longer Christmas I guess I'm playing Greensleeves.

It's by no means perfect. For example, there are a few bum notes in it - perhaps I'll post another when I 'perfect' it. I found quite a few things challenging in this ; the Am to F change (which is just strange), the E(7) stretch - getting my little finger to the F# especially; forming the high F# while sort of staying in C and using the correct fingers for plucking. I found that my middle finger kept trying to take over from my ring finger (on my right hand of course). I also found that the fretting pressure is more important/sensitive (enough but not too much) than when playing the steel string. And the buzzing you can hear is the bass strings hitting my thumb. I'm not sure how to correct that.

As you can see this is not my normal guitar, it is a Yamaha G50A - 1969-72. It's a present from a friend's mum. I love the sound, but I'm still getting used to the differences between it and my steel string. However, I still thought that this song suits it's sound.

I'd welcome any advice you have. I think some of the above is a matter of becoming more familiar with the guitar, but if you've got tips/tricks/exercises that will speed me along this journey please don't hesitate to send them my way.

Thanks for watching.

Michele
Michelle,,so nice....realy

Loreena McKennitt - GreensleevesAlas my love you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously;
And I have loved you oh so long
Delighting in your company.
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves my heart of gold
Greensleeves was my heart of joy
And who but my lady Greensleeves.

I have been ready at your hand
To grant whatever thou would`st crave;
I have waged both life and land
Your love and goodwill for to have.

And who but my lady Greensleeves.

Thy petticoat of sendle white
With gold embroidered gorgeously;
Thy petticoat of silk and white
And these I bought gladly.

And who but my lady Greensleeves

michelew

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks guys. I just finished playing it on my steel string. It is such a different sound! I'm considering posting a steel string version. Maybe on the weekend.

Mark - Thanks for your kind words - I aspire to your level of playing. Re: Willie Nelson's guitar - does that mean all beat up with a hole where the pick guard should be. I guess for it's age it is in pretty reasonable condition. It was the acrylic paint that I needed to get off that freaked me out a little. Silly I suppose. Regardless, it does sound nice. I'm glad that you've experienced the buzzing thumb thing - I assume it is a familiarisation thing for me.

Dennis - I glad you found it difficult too. The 2 rating does seem low. Thanks - I feel like I've progressed. I should go back and redo the first songs I recorded and look at the difference. The videos are a great tool for that.

Willem - thanks for your compliments and the words. I was meaning to look them up. The crazy thing is that here in Australia there used to be an ice cream truck that would travel around the suburbs playing "Greensleeves' with a sort of circus feel to it. The sound would bring kids (and adults) running from all around to get a Mr Whippy ice cream (soft ice cream extruded into a cone). So seeing the words is sort of incongruous with those memories.

Thanks again.

Michele

willem

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:38 am

Then i forgot you to give a big ice with a big dot above the horn,,and slagroom(dutch) and a lot of colorfull pickels,,,,,!!!

willem

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 am

willem wrote:
Then i forgot you to give a big ice with a big dot above the horn,,and slagroom(dutch) and a lot of colorfull pickels,,,,,!!!
Ho yeah,, we call the song now ''ice cream''..

RicksPick

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:15 am

Hi Michele

Like you I was inspired by Suzi's video and I didn't know it was Greensleaves.
Been struggling with getting it to sound right, But no problem for you though, well done hope to some day to sound like you and Suzi.
I watch both of your vid's with the lesson to help.

Thanks

RicksPick

BigBear

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Michele! Really nice job and we've come to expect that from you! I really like the soft sound of the classical guitar.

One thing that no one has mentioned is to work on letting the notes ring a little bit. By nature this song is a little staccato but make sure to not chop the notes off too quickly or it sounds really choppy. This is one of those songs that Neil talks about that it may help to "walk into" the chords and not just hit them.

Isn't it great to play something and really make it sound like a song? I love it!

Cheers! :cheer:

michelew

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks Rick - I'm looking forward to your video. I'm sure it will be great.

Bear - a big thanks - I'll look at incorporating that where I can. It made a big difference when I applied it to Scarborough Fair as Neil suggested. Are we going to see something from you sometime? OR are you leaving the advice line for the likes of us that need it?

Thanks again guys.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic