Norwegian Wood by Tovo

michelew

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 pm

I can't begin to describe how tough I have found this song. I think it shows that although the ratings are an excellent guide, each song contains different techniques. What I found difficult about this....well the strumming pattern, the tempo, the picking out of individual notes....pretty much everything!

It could be better, but at this point I'm keen to leave it alone and move on. Perhaps I will revisit but I always say that and don't seem to get back to them, I guess we all prefer to move on to something new.

I've had a couple of tries at it...much more work needed.

[video type=youtube][/video]

tovo

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 am

Neil, thank you SO much for these tips. I have been struggling along with this song since posting it, with some success due to the great comments I got from the members, and your advice here I can put to immediate use in trying to improve further. What stands out to me is that you learn so much more from what you currently play poorly than well. So a heartfelt thanks.

Also I'm thrilled that you liked my effort on Hallelujah.

suziko

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 am

Great response video! I think I'm also playing my melody notes too staccato. I'm going to go back today and work more on this song, using the suggestions Neil gave you.

And I know I've already told you this, but I gotta say again, that I agree- your "Hallelujah" WAS spectacular.

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Tony. Aren't these feedback vids just great, like extra lessons for all of us.

I never played this song before but we had a rash of them a while back and I've tried it once and gotta agree it is a wee bit more difficult than it looks.

Its on my list now!

tovo

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm really keen for this one to fade away as it is terrible! :) Seriously though I agree with you Chas, the feedback video is so very valuable and I know know exactly what I need to do to improve.

I guess I'm stating the obvious but this shows the true value of TG. No doubt a lot of people take up guitar, struggle along trying to improve with no feedback, and give up in frustration. I am of the opinion that TG actually beats a face to face instructor, as you get the added benefit of the members comments, plus you learn so much from the comments on other videos, plus you can revisit lessons anytime. With a face to face instructor who you might see for an hour a week or less, progress must necessarily be slower.

Suzi, thanks sincerely.

suziko

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:34 pm

I agree completely with your assessment of the value of TG, Tony. Before TG I'd done both group lessons and one-on-one lessons with an instructor, but I never progressed nearly at the rate I've progressed since joining TG.

I went back today to work on this song and, lo and behold, one thing I've been doing this whole time without even realizing it, is letting go of those notes right after hitting them. I started working on holding them down longer and it sounds so much better.

I'm also going to check out My My Hey Hey, since Neil said it has similar features to this song (picking out a melody while strumming). It wasn't a song I was even thinking of checking out beforehand.

suziko

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Oh, and I feel your pain over hoping one of your vids dies a quick death. I wasn't thrilled to have my "Who'll Stop the Rain" vid get a new life. I can't even watch that video without cringing! It's awful.

tovo

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Well here's how it's progressing shortly after Neil's feedback. Still needs more work, sure sounds nothing like Neil's, but I think it's much better. Not rushed, better sustain on most (but not all) notes, and keeping my D chord down much better. Nice to get it in 1 take as well.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

The video feedback from Neil is the best feature of the site IMHO. What a blast it is, eh Tony & Suzi? But you have to take the pain of video's past! I guess it will always be like that looking at them in the rear view mirror.... but you will have progressed (as Tony has here), so it's a fair price! Magic!

suziko

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

It's nice to be able to watch them side by side like that. Yes, it's getting better. I still feel like you're hitting some bass notes when you're strumming your D, but maybe it's just my ears.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic