'Harvest Moon' by AcousticAl (with melody)

beaker

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Al, Nice work, Oh yeah, that one is coming along. I agree the harmonics are a signature part of that song. Now I have to get that one going too! Beaker.

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I was pretty happy with how the song was coming together, so thanks for checking it out.

About the harmonics, that's just one of those things that I want to hear when I hear Harvest Moon. I don't know if I've quite got the timing yet or not. It is a tough change to get to. But there's usually something like that for me in every song I hear or play.

It's kind of like when BobR did his version of Still the Same. I was hearing that walking bass line in my head (and hoping Bob would play it). He added it in his next version and I think it sounded great.

michelew

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 am

It's sounding great Al! And those harmonics are just AWESOME!!

BTW - I'm not hearing anything missing, ...(hmmm that sounded strange) ... or is that I didn't not hear anything that should have been there (?), or nothing was missing - I think that's it - beside singing, nothing was missing to my ear. You get the idea regardless of my clumsy phrasing.

Bottom line - great job!

Catman

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 am

Wow!

suziko

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 am

Great job, Al. I LOVE the harmonics which, like you said, are really one of the defining aspects of this song. I think they're usually played on a second guitar, so it's awesome that you managed to incorporate it into a solo piece and still transition smoothly to the melody. Also love that you picked out the melody.

One of my favorite things about you as a guitarist is how you're always lifting the bar (or should I say "barre") for yourself, always trying to do something different in the songs you upload. You're an inspiration to us all!

Have a great cruise!

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:06 am

suziko wrote:
Great job, Al. I LOVE the harmonics which, like you said, are really one of the defining aspects of this song. I think they're usually played on a second guitar, so it's awesome that you managed to incorporate it into a solo piece and still transition smoothly to the melody. Also love that you picked out the melody.

One of my favorite things about you as a guitarist is how you're always lifting the bar (or should I say "barre") for yourself, always trying to do something different in the songs you upload. You're an inspiration to us all!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for that, Suzi. But I'd also have to say that what you mention above is also what is limiting me as a guitarist. I learn a song semi-ok.. but then leave it and move on to something else.

When I get back, I'll go back to some of my older uploads. I'll see if the song has improved at all (through osmosis?!), and if not, really work on nailing it. Then re-post some updates on those.

(until I learn something else really cool- then that plan goes out the window!) :evil:

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 am

Great job Al! The harmonics did sound good. I still cannot make them sound out correctly. Don't know why, just struggle with them a bunch. Your strumming sounded good and in time as well. I know what you mean about learning a song fairly good and then moving on. I never master a song, because my musical interest is spread too thin (that and I don't have the talent to master a song....lol).

You are making great progress and you should be very proud of yourself!

MJ

lmc831

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Al, really liked your playing... i am working on that one as well. could u or anyone tell me what frets and strings u played the harmomics. great job.

Lisa

willem

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:32 pm

lmc831 wrote:
Hi Al, really liked your playing... i am working on that one as well. could u or anyone tell me what frets and strings u played the harmomics. great job.

Lisa

Lisa,harmonics can you only play on 12///7 and 5 frets,,and then on all the 6 strings,,,wich strings Al played i must finger out i don''t no yet.
you must do your finger a litlle bit above the string and fret..

goldleaf

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Al, great job, you make me want to go back and add those essential parts I skipped when I played it. It really is a beautiful song and you did an excellent job of playing it. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic