"Junk" by Paul McCartney (DennisG)

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 am

Dennis:

I have not heard that song in a loonnnggg time! I had forgotten all about it til I saw your post. Thank you for doing it, and thank you for nailing it. Your voice is very good and I think you did a bang up job in transcribing it for yourself.

MJ

reiver

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Great job Dennis. Very nicely played and your voice really came across really well. And I have serious guitar envy............

dennisg

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for their enthusiastic support of my effort. "Junk" is kind of an oddball little song that I wasn't sure would go over well because it's so slow. You never know about these things. Now, on to specific issues:

MarkM: Believe me, if I can get away with singing a song, you'll be great. Give it a try. Almost all the songs I'll upload will include singing, mainly because I'm far less interested in songs where I pick out the melody than with songs where I can sing the melody. That's just me. I run both my guitar and my mic through my Roland AC-60 amp, then use the Line Outs directly to the camera. Very efficient.

Megan: I don't mean to be evasive, but there is no tab. I was serious when I said that the tab I used showed the tuning and the first chord. Everything after that was incomprehensible. I just started with that first chord and sort of teased out the rest of the song, like a Jersey girl doing her hair. But I never wrote anything down.

wrench: I think you're right about how working out the tab issue helped me a lot. For one thing, it felt like the song became my own, since it was my arrangement. Good observation on your part.

Tony: All I can say is "Wow!", and thanks so much. Regarding the sleeveless T-shirt, I was hoping my Mr. Burns tat was going to make an appearance, but he was shy.

BobR: After my throat surgery 18 months ago, I'm the last guy on Earth to regard my singing as "top notch," but I sure appreciate knowing that you feel that way.

Beaker: Overcoming the limitations of the tab was pretty rewarding. It was either figure out the song or switch to a tab with different tuning. Figuring it out turned out to be fun.

Craig: Sing anyway. This isn't a talent contest. We'd love to hear you sing.

Bear: Yeah, I'm really happy with the new amp. Although I figured if I used the chorus effect again, you guys would kick my ass.

Al: On my previous upload ("For no one"), I went from the mono Line Out directly to the camera. I knew I wasn't going to get stereo, but I thought I'd get dual mono. Turns out I got only one channel, as you know. So I noticed that my amp has left- and right-channel XLR Line Output jacks. I went from those directly into my camera. Seems to have worked fine. My only regret is that I had the bass, midrange, and treble settings on my amp turned all the way down on the mic channel, so my voice sounded flat. Next time, on my third upload, I'll hopefully have my act together.

Michele: Never in my wildest dreams did I expect someone to actually thank me for posting that song. That means a lot to me. I love that you show your enthusiasm by shouting and using exclamation points.

Tony (pt. 2): If you watched McCartney on YouTube doing "Junk," you know that the guy is practically a castratto and sings in a range I grew out of when I was seven years old. After my surgery, I'm left with a vocal range of about four notes, none of which are in this song. I give my capo a real workout trying to find a key those four notes actually fit in. As always, Tony, thanks for your support.

catman: Toda rabah

Lavallee

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Dennis, you did an oustanding job on that song. I don't know it but your version sounds very professional and very entertaining. Thanks for introducing it to me.

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Dennis,

I had never heard that song before so I looked up the original and it bears repeating: you did justice to it, and then some!

Your very entertaining video has a number of aspects to gain inspiration from, be it the playing, singing or filming.

Just a feeling: do you maybe play anything by Harry Nilsson?
Your voice would be well suited to his more melodious tunes that he recorded before he burned himself out.

Pierre

dennisg

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:59 am

Again, thanks for the very, very nice things you said. I'm very appreciative.

MJ: The sussing out of the chords and fingerings turned out to be a fun project. It was easier than I thought, but then it's not a very complicated song.

reiver: Oddly, I have serious guitar envy, too. Every time I see my beautiful guitar I envy the people who can actually play the darn things.

Marc: Considering my attraction to songs that are out of the mainstream, it's likely I'll be introducing a lot of songs that people are unfamiliar with. Brace yourself for some offbeat ones.

Pierre: Funny you should mention him. In the "All-time favorite male singer" thread we hashed out a few weeks ago, I listed Harry Nilsson number one. His Nilsson Schmillson album is one of my 10 "desert island" albums -- a brilliant piece of work from a tortured guy who hadn't yet scorched his vocal chords with cigarettes and booze. The only problem I have with his songs (and I have this same problem with a lot of songs) is that they're performed by a guy with a very high voice, which makes it difficult for me to sing them. A piece of Nilsson trivia: the song "Without you" ("...can't live if livin' is without you...") was written by Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger. (Their version of the song was mostly a dud.) They were recording at Apple Records one day and, coincidentally, Harry Nilsson was in the next studio recording his version of "Without you." Pete and Tom watched him record it, and they were blown away by his performance. The song has since been recorded by 180 artists. Paul McCartney called Nilsson's version "The killer song of all time." One last piece of Nilsson trivia: those of us who grew up in the U.S. in the '50s and '60s may remember a TV show called "The courtship of Eddie's father." Nilsson wrote and performed the theme music for that show. Here it is:

cosmicmechanic

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:32 am

DennisG wrote:
Funny you should mention him. In the "All-time favorite male singer" thread we hashed out a few weeks ago, I listed Harry Nilsson number one. His Nilsson Schmillson album is one of my 10 "desert island" albums
Dennis, I actually hadn't followed the "All-time favorite male singer" thread, so having asked you about Harry Nilsson, I'm impressed by my own telepathic abilities. I'm also impressed that I remembered the correct spelling to his name.

The actual reason I mentioned Harry Nilsson is this:
Maybe you've been told before that there are similarities between your voice and Nilsson's? Since you succeeded with McCartney's tune "Junk", you could probably do quite well with something by Nilsson.

To belabor the point even further, my first humble request for a Nilsson tune would be the one named "1941".

Any of his many other wonderful songs will do, though.

I'm now waiting impatiently ... no pressure ... tic toc tic toc :side:

Pierre

willem

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 am

Dennis,, i did not know the song and so i looked around on YT and know now you did a nice job on it,,is the orginal in F#m? I saw plenty of lessons and paying of this,, i like it add it to my list...who knows..

goldleaf

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Dennis, thanks for introducing that song to me. You played and sang it wonderfully. You set the bar pretty high, I'm looking forward to your next choice. Gary

pbraun

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Really really great, I could listen over and over

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic